Prologue

I found it difficult to get out of my head.

The silence in the room was so loud it was deafening. My ears were ringing as I processed everything that happened over the months I've been here.

I wrapped my arms around myself. Listening to my soft breathing as I hyperventilate. Everything was getting better, my life was moving itself back into place. And now it's the missing piece of the puzzle that makes up my happiness.

The barbors home was so quiet. I was going to miss it certainly. I loved it here! Mr and Mrs barbor have been taking care of me ever since the tragedy of my mother's death, and now they're being ripped away from me just like her!

I rested my head on the pillow of the bed I had slept in for so long now. I cherished the moment as I would most likely never sleep on it again.

I hear the door open and I throw myself up again, ridding my eyes of the tears welling up in them to face the soft, empathetic expression of Mrs Barbor. "Are you ready Theo?" She asks softly. Physically? yes. I was fully packed and I had everything I needed. Mentally? absolutely the living fuck not. I wasn't ready to part with the barbors. Even for my own father.

"Yeah, I'm ready." I said through tears. I rapidly tried to dry my face, wiping my skin of the salt filled tears. I stood up and walked out of the room to be greeted by my dad and Xandra again. I checked over my mental list before telling them I was ready.

Said goodbye to hobie? Check

Sent letters to Pippa? Check

Returned anything I bought for the sailing trip? Check.

Gave Andy a goodbye hug? Check

It sufficed, I did everything important. I smiled at my dad. Despite it being forced, clearly it looked sweet because he smiled back. "I'm ready to go." I mumbled, near incoherent. "Well uh, alrighty then! Let's get this show on the road." He said, making fast paced hand movements and eventually just giving thumbs up. I smiled again and just looked over at Mrs barbor, who gently embraced me. "Don't be a stranger, Theo."

As she let go of me, I let go of my entire life before all this. Unprepared but determined to start over. With little hope I had in myself, I pulled my act together and left for Vegas with my dad and his potent smelling girlfriend.

What would life be like now? I've barely ever been out of New York. It sounded like hell. Baren deserts with mostly deserted homes, minimal greenery and hot suns all year round sounded like a true nightmare for the boy that is Theodore decker, i.e, me.

But alas, I had no choice. It was all over now.

Today marks the day I sold my soul for a life I would never learn to love.

(494 words)