CHAPTER 26: NAINA

"I love you." His eyes slightly widened at my sudden confession. I wrapped my arms around his waist from the back and looked at him through the mirror.

He had worn a pink kurta matching the colour of my saaree. He told me, if we ever had a child, he would prefer a girl to be born first and when I asked why he wanted it that way...he simply stared at me in the eyes and spoke without any hesitation, "All my life, I was surrounded by boys, except for home where the only female interaction I had was with my mother. In college, I mainly used to ignore the limelight on me and chose to stay close to my guy friends more. I never had any sister to play with, who would teach me how to respect other girls, and all that girl stuff you know, where they would paint my nails and braid my hair as they made me their test object. I always listened to my friends on campus who used to cry about it, but somewhere in my heart, I wanted to experience it too. So, if we ever have a girl...I would be her test object, in fact, I would bring all types of nail paints, hair brushes and toys for her to play with me. Is that too much to ask for?" He gave me puppy eyes and I was in awe.
No matter how much I tried to stop myself from falling for him, but his thoughts always made me curious about him, his understandings over different things, his perception of the world, everything made me realise that this man was perfect for me. A complete contrast though, but perfect for me.

"You look absolutely handsome" He chuckled a bit before pecking my cheek.
My feelings for him were getting stronger and stronger with every passing day.

-

"Ohh y'all came!!" My mother hugged maa and they both ran to see Bhabhi, who was dressed beautifully.

Bhai on the other hand gave me and Mahir ji a quick hug before sprinting towards the main hall. "Everything here looks so pretty." I clasped my hands together and looked at the decorations in awe. Hearing a faint chuckle I turned my head to see Mahir ji gazing at me with heart eyes.

"Yes, everything here looks sooo beautiful." A wave of shyness ran through my body and I turned my face the other side to hide it.

"Naina! Let's go and meet Bhabhi." Yash's voice brought us out of our world's and I noticed Mahir Ji's face changing. Before I could act, Yash held my hand and dragged me towards the main stage.

Everyone noticed it.

All the women in the hall were giving us looks, some whispering into each other's ear.  My gaze fell upon my parents, who too were embarassed.

Suddenly I was pulled into an embrace. The warmth engulfing me and the Cologne calming my racing heart.
"Yash, I know you're excited to talk to YOUR bhabhi, but ask for her permission first, okay?" Mahir Ji's held my waist protectively. Everyone including Yash in the room was stunned.
Collective O's of understanding were heard.

I saw papa and Daddy heaving a breath of relief. I stared at Yash who fisted his hand and was glaring at his brother, who was giving him a winning smirk.

Oh my god, what was I gonna do with these men?!

-

"Ok so, we're gonna put some turmeric on her face and her hands, to make her achieve that soft smooth skin!" My mother gently patted on bhaibhi's cheeks and then the rasam began.

All the ladies started applying turmeric on bhabhi. After all the ladies were done, it was now the turn of males.
Thought it was an only female event, but bhabhi insisted on having males too.

Mahir ji left and stood in the queue. I gave him a thumbs up to cheer him up.
While standing a little away from the line, I started to drink juice in the meantime.

Not until, my hand was held by someone that was Yash. I pulled my hand out from his grasp and he gave me a pitiful look.

"Naina, baby why are you ignoring me?"