00. PROLOGUE

Kicking the lonely black-and-white ball around in an empty field near your house, you let out a sigh in boredom

Kicking the lonely black-and-white ball around in an empty field near your house, you let out a sigh in boredom. A few minutes earlier, your mom had complained, telling you to "go outside for once" in her usual nagging voice. She even threatened to take away your phone and nintendo switch if you didn't listen. But what's the point of being outside when you don't have any friends? It's not like you really cared anyway. You breathed in a gust of fresh air, relaxation seeping into your body.

Casting a longing gaze at the ball as it rolled away from the tip of your shoe, you started thinking about the reason why you started playing football. It wasn't really anything special, but it was a memory that you cherished.

Your face bathed in the light coming from the television in front of you, gaze intensely focused on the screen. The TV was tuned to the sports channel, broadcasting the football match between Japan and another country. For the first time, you were entranced by something other than visually-appealing video games and animanga. Deep down, you heard a voice calling and cheering for the Japanese team. As the match progressed, you found yourself more drawn into the movements of the players and the fast blur of the ball. Your breath was caught up in your throat as one of the players from the team swiftly advances the goal with the ball in front of the tip of his shoe, steadily dribbling, with the distant echoes of cheering from the fans witnessing the game in real life. It seemed promising at first, for Japan to win. But then, just as he was about to shoot his goal, he passed it to his teammate, who missed.

You remember your reaction so clearly, back then.

"What a stupid move," you muttered under your breath in frustration, glaring at the bright screen in front of you. You felt a surge of disappointment course through your veins, but also a tinge of admiration for the player who prioritized teamwork. Instead of selfishly shooting a goal for himself, he decided to introduce 'companionship' and 'selflessness' into the mix. Obviously football is about coordinating well with your team and assisting each other, but at times like these, it's better to be selfish rather than missing your chance. That's what you thought, anyway.

From then on, you decided that football in Japan needed a desperate change. A big one. Something that you will assist in changing, or one you would have to do yourself.

Your thoughts were then interrupted by a subtle buzz coming from your pocket. Glancing at the vivid hues of the blue-orange sky that signaled the sun was setting on the horizon, you reached for your phone to not worry the sender.

ma

ma
[Name], there's a letter for you

[name]
ok
going home rn

ma
And dinner's ready

[name]
ok