Chapter 8 The intruding killer

At 3:00 a.m., I heard a voice message from my cell phone, which I had left charging in the living room.

The cold hairs on my body immediately stood up.

This has always been a habit of mine.

Charge your phone before you go to bed and make sure it's in the living room.

"Face unlock failed."

Once again I heard the warning.

To take better care of my octogenarian grandmother, who has mild Alzheimer's, my door was left ajar.

At first, I thought my phone was malfunctioning.

But I soon realized it wasn't.

Because I heard a human breath.

It was light, just a little, but my ears picked it up clearly.

My heart is beating fast right now.

Cold sweat slowly trickled down my back.

A thought came clearly to my mind.

Someone has entered my house.

Who could it be?

A thief?

Or some kind of burglar?

Whoever it is, I hope he knows what he's doing.

I don't have much cash at home, all the money is in my Paypal.

The only cash I have is the hundred dollars I left for my grandmother today.

But apparently he's still trying to unlock my phone.

I tiptoed out of bed and quietly poked my head around the door.

My eyes widened for a split second.

I saw a very tall woman standing in front of the table where I keep my phone.

She stuck her head out, hunched over, her body twisted in a strange arc, her neck stretched.

And my phone kept giving me the "face unlock failed" message.

I was so nervous that I broke into a cold sweat.

I didn't expect it to be a woman.

Her hair was long, like weeds, and piled haphazardly on her shoulders, as if it hadn't been combed in a long time.

On her feet she wore a pair of red embroidered shoes that were so old-fashioned they were rarely seen these days.

The door locks on my house are security locks, and there is no surveillance on the porch, but there has never been a problem.

How the hell did that woman get in here?

That's when I saw the bathroom door swing open and felt a slight breeze. Apparently the bathroom window was left open.

The window of the toilet where we live faces the common walkway outside. The woman climbed in through the toilet!

Grandma's room was next to mine, and I prayed desperately in my heart that Grandma wouldn't get up in the night to go to the toilet. But my prayers didn't work. I heard Grandma get out of bed.

Her outstretched neck immediately snapped back and she jerked her head around. I ducked behind the door, gasping for air.

At that moment, I saw that the woman was holding a sharp knife.