Chapter 1 - Not A Threat

My eyes traced the cobblestone streets carefully, spotting hints of moss and weeds as they peeked through each available crack. After a month of living in the Rainbow Kingdom, I was getting good at keeping my head down. My new hoodie had been pulled over my head, blocking out some of my non-steve features. With any luck, steves would assume that I was just another Green Steve.

Many of them still didn't trust me. Even after defeating Void and helping to cure hundreds of steves from the darkness, they were still wary. I could see it in their eyes as they looked at me, as they swerved around me in the streets. They were scared of me. Well, scared of Shadow.

A faint smile crossed my face. I cast a quick glance around, finding the air around me wonderfully empty. No smug grin or dark presence in sight. At least that was one good thing.

After the battle, Light and I had gone to destroy the shadow sword as promised. Unfortunately, the weapon was harder to destroy than either of us had anticipated. Even when Light threw his full force at it, it remained undamaged. Mocking us.

I still wasn't sure if burying it under the Rainbow Hub was the best idea. What if someone found it? But it was the only solution I could think of, and it had effectively locked Shadow safely out of my thoughts. He too had been trapped under the Rainbow Hub, yelling angrily at me for leaving him behind.

Unfortunately, that meant I couldn't blame him for the powers.

Maybe it was because the shadow sword still existed, maybe not. Whatever the case, the powers I had discovered on the night I killed Void hadn't gone away. In fact, they seemed to be getting stronger. Nobody had seen them yet, but I was still worried. They seemed to grow more out of control every day.

I pulled the hoodie a little lower, entering my door quickly and snapping it shut. I didn't like to think about that. I hadn't told any steve, not even Light, about the new abilities. They would surely come to the same conclusion I had: that the darkness was still affecting me. I was already viewed as a threat without my powers. What would the steves think if they knew I could smite them?

I quickly went to my room, trying to push the thoughts out of my mind. I should change into something white. I wouldn't want the steves to think I was displaying favoritism. Besides, as Light's stand-in, it was practically a requirement.

I glanced in the mirror, taking in my appearance. With the blindfold on, nobody could see the dark bags under my eyes. Any type of stressed expression came off as contemplative. It was the best part of wearing it, aside from not showing my eyes.

Just as I was about to leave, I noticed something on the little dining room table. I paused, hesitating between the scrap of paper and the doorway. I hadn't left that there.

Nerves fluttered in my stomach as I picked up the paper and unfolded it. My blood ran cold.

You don't belong here.

The note was quickly shoved into my pocket, hiding it from sight. The paper crumpled easily in my hand. If only the message was that easy to dispose of. The thought paraded through my mind all the way to the citadel. Some steve had broken into my house just to leave me that message. Maybe even a group of them. Had the guards let it happen? Or did I not have enough security around my house?

What if it became worse than notes?

My breathing was a little too fast as I arrived at the top of the stairs, but nobody seemed to notice. The leaders merely glanced my way, then went back to looking concerned. I quickly took Light's seat, propping up my chin with both hands. It had been a while since someone called an emergency meeting. The last time it happened, Indigo and Blue announced that they were no longer connected to their respective dimensions.