3. His Eyes

Another month dragged by. Christmas was merry, and the New Year was welcomed, but all joy was stained in the Buchanan household.

Lucia hoped that it was the same in the Torres mansion; the palace. She hoped that Alpha Asher missed Sophia as much as she missed him. She hoped the Alpha and the Luna are still saddened that Sophia will never be a part of their family. And yet, she also hoped that joy will come back, "please come back", she chanted in her mind.

***

That morning, Lucia stood in the Torres mansion living room, waiting for the pack's Luna. Her parents had sent her there with her mother's famous orange and almond cake, following a family tradition between the two families, to exchange desserts on the new year. In all previous years, Sophia and Lucia went together, and Lucia's face fell as she thought of Sophia's absence.

Hearing the doors open, Lucia stood straight and bowed her head. "Good morning Luna", she greeted, mustering the brightest smile she could.

"Good morning sweetheart, sit with me. Please tell me that's the orange and almond cake", Luna Amber smiled.

"Haha, it is indeed, and is that the lemon cheesecake?".

"Yes it is! Oh your mother's cake won't last even a day. Last year we finished it by the end of morning tea".

"Oh I will tell her you said that, she'll be so happy".

"Please do, how is she these days? I need to visit your family sometime soon".

"Mama's just the same, but yes please, we'd love to have you over for a dinner sometime Luna".

"A dinner would be lovely!", Luna Amber's face suddenly fell. "How is our darling Sophie? Asher's been so angry these days, he goes out as much as he can, disappearing for days, avoids the pack, avoids us".

"Well, she's working on moving on, and we're trying our best to be with her and help her..", Lucia trailed off.

"Oh my poor little darling, We would've all been blessed to have her, but God had other plans. I hope they both learned the lesson though. What possessed them, that they thought it a brilliant idea to start dating before confirming they're mates", Luna Amber tried to reduce her tone of anger. "And now they're both heartbroken and so are we, so is the whole pack".

Lucia shifted on the couch, "yes it was a little careless of them, but then, we all thought they're meant to be together, with how well they matched".

Luna Amber let out a heavy sigh before turning her head when she heard someone marching into the living room. Lucia immediately stood up and bowed her head when she saw who it is that disturbed them.

"Asher I have an audience! How rude must you be?!", Luna Amber exclaimed, but it fell on deaf ears. Unbothered, he made his way to her, holding out a folder in his hand, completely ignoring Lucia's presence, not even sparing her a glance. Lucia deemed this a little rude of him, but she didn't mind. Alpha Asher's never paid her much attention, so this is nothing new.

"Here's the details of the investigator you sent after me", he threw the folder onto the couch. "If you wanna keep tabs on me, at least hire better people mama", he mocked with a deep, dark voice.

Lucia stared wide-eyed at the mother and son before her. She didn't know what to make of this interaction.

"Where is he now?", Luna Amber asked, a hint of worry in her voice.

"In the pack's hospital, you're gonna need those docs to identify him to anyone", he states so coolly that it frightened Lucia to the core.

Luna Amber covered her mouth to hold back her gasp of horror.

Cavalierly, but still menacingly, Alpha Asher turned to leave. He threw a careless glance at Lucia, but he was then unable to move his eyes from her. They locked with Lucia's deep blue eyes, piercing into her soul.

Lucia felt her knees give way and without her permission, her body fell to the floor, bending her back and bowing her head in absolute submission to the man standing before her.

When her body finally gave her back the control, she quickly got up and fixed her dress.

Luna Amber watched the scene before her, as she felt a peaceful energy overtake her heart. She knew this is the energy which would've been felt by every pack member at this very moment, letting everyone know that their future Luna has been discovered.

"Close the doors", Alpha Asher ordered the maids, not removing his eyes from Lucia once.

"The whole pack must've felt it, they must've felt that their future Alpha just met his mate", Alpha Asher told her and then turned to look at everyone in the room; his mother, Lucia, and two maids. "I order you all, not a single word of who my mate is will leave this room. I will not have it. Not until we've spoken to the elders and councillors about this, and not until I've thought this through and decided what I will do, am I clear?", everyone bowed in submission to his deathly tone, even Luna Amber.

"And you", he spat with venom at Lucia, "look at me", he ordered.

Lucia fixed her beautiful deep blue eyes, innocently on his emerald ones. At that moment, her mind took her back to those forbidden thoughts she's had of him before. The morning sunrays sat softly on his perfectly sculptured face. His emerald eyes shone in the beams, promising her the love she's always wanted. The daydreams she had as a child danced before her eyes, back when she thought she's a werewolf and dreamed of meeting her mate. She thought he'd run to her, embracing her in a soul-bearing hug, lift her off the ground in a spin before claiming her lips.

Lucia let these thoughts overtake her for a moment and she smiled softly, beholding her mate with a growing passion.

"Get the hell out of my house. Get the fuck out before I throw you out!".