✷ 002: The Invite.

HYGTG ! by KissLeclerc
May 14, 2024 # "Preferably Madeline."

RECLINED ON THE PLUSH COUCH in her Villa that sat near the coast of Monte Carlo, Solana shuffled through weeks of missed mail as she had recently gotten back from being away, whether it be from work or recreational purposes, like spending time with friends.

The scent of the sea breeze wafted through her open windows, mingling with the warmth of the afternoon sun. She was in her casual loungewear as she sifted through the crisp letters.

As Solana meticulously separated the mail into two piles; one destined for opening, the other for the bin — she finally picked up the stack of letters that came in today.

Among them all, a striking Ferrari Red envelope caught her eye, its intricate details hinting at something significant inside. With her name elegantly inscribed in white and gold calligraphy, curiosity surged as she carefully broke the white seal with familair initials, revealing an invitation that confirmed her suspicions.

"Together with their families, Charles Marc Herve Perceval Leclerc and Madeline Grace Persephone Cardova cordially invite you to celebrate their marriage," The words danced in her mind, a faint smile gracing her lips as she absorbed the contents before she took a deep breath.

She was happy for him, of course she was. But she still couldn't help but feel a pang of sadness as she read the words inviting her to celebrate his marriage to Madeline.

Madeline, the girl Solana had been good friends with in the past. The girl that Solana had introduced to Charles all those years ago, when they were younger and carefree.

The girl that drifted after getting what she desired most.

The girl that Solana helped Charles ask out.

Solana had watched their relationship blossom, even as her own feelings for him remained hidden, buried deep within her heart.

It was messy to her, and she didn't like that. She loathed herself for liking a taken man. Which is why she distanced herself as much as she could, years ago.

But their youthful, yet platonic love still lingered. Every reunion seeming as if Sol and Charles were never apart for months. The two still bringing out each other's childish energies with their little inside jokes, that never failed to get old.

But regardless, it still felt wrong to her.

Folding the invitation carefully, she tucked it away with a bittersweet smile, determined to be the supportive friend he needed.

After a couple moments of regathering her thoughts, Solana picked up her phone and went ahead to dial a number for emotional support.

"Hello?" Her dear friend Thalia was quick to answer the call, a crunch from her side following after. "Sorry, I'm eating an apple."

"Thalia..." The tennis player breathed out.

"Solana..." The model mumbled her name in the same way. "Wait, are you alright?" She quickly sensed the lack of Sol's notable enthusiasm.

"Yeah, it's not anything bad. I just had a sudden mood drop and I just needed to hear someone's voice."

"Aw, my love—" Thalia's sweet laugh quickly cheered her up, as expected. "Well, do you wanna talk about it?" She took another bite of her apple.

"I feel like you can piece it together if you think hard enough." Sol nervously laughed. A deep exhale from her nose following after.