Chapter 18

please read the end note! please :)

also, just a heads up: this chapter contains a lot of lengthy paragraphs and a REALLY long one. 

The night seemed to drag on for hours and hours and hours. When I thought I would get a tiny break for myself, someone would come and whisk me away. I soon learned that just because there’s a 10 model gap in between my turns, that doesn’t necessarily mean I could just sit there and chill out.

“Please, Miss Bryans! Straighten your back,” my hairstylist scolded me for the fifth time. Even after my endless persuading, he still opted to call me “Miss Bryans” instead of just “Jessica”.

“Sorry Pablo! I’m just so pooped,” I said, raising my shoulders.

He gave me a confused look. “What’s pooped? Do you need to use the ladies room?”

A small laugh came from behind him, and the director of the show (I didn’t know fashion shows had directors), Annabelle, stepped around Pablo. “It’s just an expression Pablo.”

“Oh.” Pablo giggled. “My bad.” He tugged a bit more at my hair then added, “Okay Miss Bryans. You are ready!”

As soon as the words left my mouth, Annabelle pulled me to my feet and dragged me out the door.

“Ow, ow, ow, Annabelle! I’m perfectly capable of walking on my own,” I protested.

Annabelle rolled her eyes and tugged at my wrists. “Yes, but you walk like a snail. Now, hurry up!”

When we reached the “entrance” to the runway, she looked me over once, twice, three times, and then shoved me to the techie waiting by the curtains.

“This is your second last run,” she said sternly. “Remember, as soon as you come back inside after this one, go into your changing room. You’re the last model for the night, so we need to leave a good impression.”

“Okay,” I replied, getting into my focus zone.

“So, don’t waste anytime!” Annabelle called after me as I began walking.

“Okay!” I yelled back.

“I’m serious!”

“OKAY,” I said furiously, then stomped off when the techie guy queued me in.

Thanks to her, I couldn’t get into my focus zone properly and was totally nervous when I stepped into the light. By now, I was more comfortable than I had been the first time I stepped onto the runway but I was still extremely paranoid. I strained my eyes forward, not daring to look at anybody in the crowd, not even Jenna or Stacy, and just stared at the big poster at the end of the large room. Left, right, left, right, left, right, left.

Finally, I made it back behind the curtains, still in one piece and holding on to my dignity. Making my way back to my dressing room, I passed Michaela, who was looking awfully sour. More sour that she usually was.

“What’s wrong? Upset that I didn’t make a fool out of myself?” I asked in an overly sweet voice.

She smiled at me in a devilish way. “Of course.”

“Sorry to disappoint you, but I don’t think I’ll be doing anything humiliating anytime soon,” I laughed at patted her on the head, which earned me a cold glare.

But, her glare quickly disappeared and was replaced by a smug smile. “We’ll see.”

Before I could respond, Annabelle ran up to me.