TWO

The honeyed glow of Ahmedabad's twilight seeped through the balcony doors, painting long, lazy stripes across Shubman's hotel room. He cradled the phone against his ear, the low hum of the city a comforting counterpoint to his father's voice. "Haan Papa," he replied, his voice tinged with the weariness of a long day. "Kal Mumbai ki flight hai, char din baad ODI." 

"Yeah, take care, I love you, aur sojao aap."  He added the last bit with a smile, knowing his father's penchant for late-night news marathons. Disconnecting the call, Shubman stretched, the familiar ache in his muscles a welcome reminder of a day well spent. He reached for the room service menu, his stomach grumbling insistently.

Just then, a sharp rap on the door startled him from his reverie. Frowning, he set the menu down and padded towards the entrance. Who could it be at this hour?

Reaching for the doorknob, he twisted it open with slow deliberation just to find two unwelcome faces grinning back at him. Devdutt and Abhishek, his teammates he'd unfortunately bestowed with the dubious title of "best friends," stood there, whose timing, as always, left much to be desired.

"Dev, Abhi? What are you both doing here?" he questioned, eyebrow raised in surprise.

Before Shubman could get another word out, a boisterous voice boomed from behind them. "Meine bulaya inn dono ko!" Ishaan, the self-proclaimed leader of their little pack, sauntered in front, a wide grin plastered across his face.

"Aur aapko kisne bulaya?" he couldn't resist asking Ishaan, knowing full well it was a futile question.

Ishaan feigned innocence, a wide, toothy grin plastered across his face. "You're a strange one, Shubman. Where are your manners? Shouldn't you invite us in?"

Before Shubman could retort, Abhi, never one for formalities, shoved him playfully aside, muttering, "Come on, let's not waste time at the doorway Chalo andar, andar." he pushed Shubman aside and barged into the room, Ishaan following close behind.

Dev, trailing behind them, offered a sheepish apology. "Sorry, Shubman."

Shubman sighed, muttering under his breath, "Tu sorry mat bol, not your fault ki yeh dono besharam hain." He closed the door with a soft thud, resigning himself to whatever chaotic plans his friends had concocted for this unexpected late-night visit.

Shubman stepped inside his room, only to be met with a scene of domestic disarray. Ishaan and Abhi sprawled themselves across his bed with the grace of a pair of overfed langurs, while Dev, settled into the armchair with a sheepish grin.

"Alright, spill it," Shubman said, amusement battling with weariness in his voice. "It's past eleven, aur kal dopahar flight bhi toh hai?"

Ishaan, ever the nonchalant one, shrugged. "Last night in Ahmedabad, we figured we'd grace you with our presence, Ghoomi Ghoomi karenge thoda"

"Speaking of last night," Abhi chimed in, his gaze darting around the room, "where are Yashasvi and Rutu? you said they'd come too?"

Dev sighed. "Yash is zonked – the poor guy probably wouldn't survive another minute of forced merriment. Another word and he might have taken a swing at me for interrupting his beauty sleep."

Ishaan elaborated with a mischievous glint in his eyes. "And Rutu's busy whispering sweet nothings to apni hone wali baiko. No way am I interrupting that love fest."

Shubman, his curiosity piqued, pressed further. " Where are we headed at this ungodly hour, and by what means of transport?"

"The hotel car, obviously," Abhi declared with a cocksure confidence that made Shubman arch an eyebrow further.

A sliver of apprehension flitted across Dev's face. "But what if Rohit bhai gets wind of this little escapade?"

Ishaan, ever the optimist, waved his concerns away with a dismissive flick of his wrist. "Relax, Dev! Nobody will be the wiser. Besides, a little harmless adventure never hurt anyone, right?"

" Right," Shubman says sarcastically.

a/n I know Dev, Abhishek and Ishaan are not part of the squad full time but let's assume they are always a part of the 15 - people squad and make it to the playing 11-in turns.