Chapter Nine

Mist shaded the trees as the morning dew glimmered at the sun's first ray's. Raine sat outside the barn and watched calmly. For the first time she had no worries.
I don't have to please him anymore. She thought as she sighed.
Raine stood up with a large stretch as she shifted her eyes to look around at the rest of the farm.
Mud had told her the day before that the barn they lived in was relatively unused despite the twolegs occasionally barging in to steal or add to their obsession with hay.
"Do they eat it?" Raine had asked.
"No, at least I don't think they do. I'm pretty sure they give it to the big black and white animals they have out there in the field." Mud had replied.
Raine ventured forward towards a small dip in the ground.
Where will my paws take me today? She thought.
Over the course of a moon she had been building bonds with the other barn cats and exploring the farm in its entirety.
She looked down to see the dip was a small creek.
Raine carefully found her way down into the creek and took a quick drink before looking up alarmed at the sound of a dog.
They have a dog here? Why didn't Mud tell me! She thought to herself as she crawled back up to the bank and looked around cautiously, expecting a dog to leap at her at any moment.
A nauseating smell washed over her. She turned around sharply and to her horror saw a large black and brown dog looming over her with large teeth snapping at her.
Not hesitating, Rain ran back towards the barn her fur bristling in fear. The dog howled at her as it gave chase.
How dare this thing chase me like prey!? She thought as she continued running.
A small rabbit hole came in sight of her, she was running so fast she didn't notice it and tripped.
She hissed in annoyance until she remembered why she was running. She yowled in pain as teeth dug into her scruff and lifted her upwards.
"Let go of me!" She whined as the dog thrashed her about, shaking it's head viciously.
Raine swiped her paws around, hitting the dog across the maw and making it drop her. As soon as she hit the ground, Raine ran to the barn doors and under them where she backed up as the dog scratched at the doors and whined desperately.
"That brute! Grabbing me and playing with me as if I was a toy!" Raine hissed as she backed away once more.
Mud ran up to her from behind the hay with a concerned look.
"Are you alright Raine?" Mud asked as he pinned his ears in surprise as blood dripped onto the hay below. "Your injured." He said.
Suddenly Raine was aware of the gash in the back of her neck. Pain coursed through her as her legs tensed in agony.
She sat down quickly and tried to look at the damage, but her head couldn't turn far enough to see.
"I'll get you something to help heal you. There's a hole in the back of the barn, just outside is some type of plant. I don't know what it is but it can heal." Mud explained as he raced off towards the back of the barn.
Raine hissed in annoyance as she settled herself down.
I don't need help! I can figure my own wounds out thank you! She thought to herself as she watched Mud return with a bundle of green leaves in his maw.
"This will help you. I'll have to change the..." Mud went on to explain what he would have to do for the wound to heal properly but Raine began to ignore him as the pain in her neck increased.
This is so dumb, I can't believe I didn't notice that dog in time. She thought.

663 words.