1. scaredy cat

germany,
january 2013

Once again, the same hallway, the same doors, everything was always the same, but Rozie couldn't remember a thing. She didn't really know if it was the brainwashing or generally just her head blocking out all the bad memories, but Rozie hated it, not remembering anything at all.

Rozie didn't really know which one of the bases she was at right now. In the last three years, she kept changing locations like every 6 months.

But she still struggled everyday at everything, at getting food, or just getting through the day. The same injections happened, but she never knew what was the reason behind all this.

In those years, she met around six other subjects; that's exactly how she knew that she wasn't the only kid that hydra tortured. or they once were.

They all got killed one by one, either because they weren't strong enough, or one of the experiments on them went the wrong way. Leaving Rozie all alone, although she was never angry, or even sad at their deaths. She was happy for them, because it meant they weren't suffering anymore. They didn't have to feel pain anymore.

Rozie sometimes wished to die, sometimes purposely letting someone else win at a fight, but she was still here.

She always wondered what happens after death, a lot of the time. Is everything just dark? Are you born again? so many questions, no answers.

A few months ago she was transferred to another base, Rozie knew that she was in Germany, from the language the guards spoke to her. Even when most of the time they ignored her, Rozie sometimes overheard some of their conversations. Those were times where she was grateful for those 3 years of education.

her feet were dragged across the cold floor, her body too weak to move. Not a single sound coming from her, no screaming, nothing. Rozie wasn't able to do anything, like a useless doll.

She could almost count as a dead body, her breaths shaky and shallow. By now almost every part of her body was broken by one of the guards at least once, everything covered in bruises and dirt.

She was hit so many times for fun that she wasn't able to count them, but everytime it was painful, horrible, but in the end it always healed; every bone always got right back to normal after barely a month, sometimes a week, depending on how bad it was. Still she knew it wasn't normal, she wasn't normal.

Rozie wasn't a normal child, by the age of seven she was stronger than all the other kids, she realized what was so special about her. The way she sometimes was able to fight off a guard, when she had enough energy; when she wasn't starving or hurt.

Maybe it was the injections, but she knew there was something more behind all this.

Rozie was almost nine at this point, still stuck in that place. Losing hope everyday, and her hatred only grew day by day, and soon hydra would get what they always wanted.

As the big doors opened her eyes immediately shut from the sudden change of light, Rozie slowly fluttered her eyes open again. Looking around she felt a strange familiar feeling, a feeling of panic, her body tensing up. It was like a part of her mind remembered something, something that happened here.

The whole room was just white, white walls, white tiles, white counters. Numerous sharp objects everywhere. A hospital bed placed in the middle, next to it a little metal table with fluids placed on top.

Seeing some of the needles made her feel like her stomach was tied into a knot, her body shaky from all the stress.

You could say that Rozie was like a scared cat, jumping at every sound, at sight of bigger threats running away, not suited for the bases of hydra.