i. i'm your good looking classmate.

Ψ . . . SAIKI'S HOMEROOM WAS CURSED. There was no other way to explain the influx of transfer students they received, regardless of the time of year. Saiki counted no less than six transfer students (Toritsuka hung around so much he might as well have been part of the class) and not one of them was normal. It would have been impressive if they didn't all cause Saiki so much strife.

Saiki stared impassively ahead as the usual wave of drivel washed over him. It was the obligatory speculation ahead of a new student: what they might look like, how smart they were, whether they would be single. Saiki cared about none of it. All he wanted from the new transfer student was for them to be blessedly, pleasantly normal. No odd powers. No obnoxious personality. No bizarre looks. Just a regular student he could pass in the halls without triggering a catastrophe.

"Saiki, have you heard about our new transfer student?" Kaido asked. He crossed a hand over his face. "I've felt a disturbance in the energy levels of the universe lately. They're a force to be reckoned with. Their powers might even be on par with mine."

We have nothing to worry about then, Saiki thought.

"We're getting another transfer student?" Nendo and Aren crossed over to join Kaido. "It's pretty late in the year. I wonder where they're from?"

"I feel bad for them. How are they gonna be able to catch up if they have to start over from the first year?" Nendo wondered.

They're coming from another city, not another grade.

As if on cue, an onslaught of hopeful musings cascaded over Saiki.

Yumehara: I hope they're cute. We could gush over boys together! They could help me write love notes!

Hairo: The baseball team has been looking for a new member for a while now. Maybe they'd be open to joining. But the soccer team also needs someone. And also the swim team. Oh well. I'm sure I could convince them to join all three.

Mera: I've eaten nothing but pencil shavings and eraser bits for the past three days. I hope they can share food with me. A meat bun sounds so good right now...

Teruhashi: A new student! There's nothing like making a first impression on someone. Like a worshipper meeting their goddess for the first time, I'll be sure to make them fall to their knees!

Saiki's head ached. He wished the new student would just come already, if only to get everyone to stop thinking about them.

Eventually, the classroom door slid open and Ms. Shima strode inside.

"Alright, please return to your seats. Our new student will be arriving shortly."

The anticipation in the room was stifling. Saiki internally sighed to himself. Everyone was going to inevitably be let down by the new student once they showed up, and they would all complain to Saiki about it for the next month. He didn't know which was worse: everyone being delusional or disappointed.

Despite himself, Saiki couldn't help sending up his own little hope.

I hope they're normal. Please let them be normal.

Restless minutes ticked by. Just as the room was growing rabid with excitement, a shadow fell through the door of the classroom and the new student appeared.

"Sorry for being late, everyone. But fear not, your good-looking new transfer student has finally arrived."

Saiki's heart sank. He knew instantly that the student who swept into the room would not be normal.

They were lean and agile, going to stand by the teacher's podium with a self-assured grace. Their hair was a soft white, and a pair of round tinted glasses perched rakishly on their face. The new student smiled brilliantly when they turned to face everyone, lowering their glasses so their eyes could be seen.