chapter 7

Emma William

"Hey, sorry, but can I ask you one thing?" I said.

"Yeah, sure," the nurse replied politely.

"Can I go outside? Like, I'll stay in the hospital, but there's a garden behind the building. Can I go?" I asked, twirling my fingers nervously.

"Well, I don't know. Let me ask Dr. John, okay?" she said before leaving the room.

Dr. John entered, his usual grumpy self. "What's your problem, 19?" he asked.

"I need some fresh air," I said.

"Open the window, you'll get it," he retorted, crossing his arms.

"I need the real thing. I need to walk. I just want to go outside, please, John," I pleaded.

"You know we can't leave you alone. You'll collapse anytime," he reminded me.

"Send some nurses with me," I suggested.

"They have other work to do. Besides, we don't have that many nurses. This is a free hospital," he explained.

Defeated, I looked down sadly. "Okay, fine. Only for an hour, that's it," he finally agreed.

As we walked in the garden, silence hung between us.

"Why did you make the hospital free?" I asked, curious.

"Well, I love to help people, even if they couldn't pay. I still want to help them. I have enough money, but this gives me peace," he replied, his expression serious.

"John," I said, stopping him. I struggled to find the right words. "I'm really sorry for what I did after the library scene. I thought maybe I was too much. I wanted to apologize to you, but you weren't here anymore."

"What you and your Jacob did, I can't even imagine. My whole childhood was ruined. So it's better if you don't ever mention this again. You are my patient now, and I'm your doctor. Just think we've never met before. Do you understand? Let's go now," he said, starting to walk away.

"John!" I called after him, causing him to stop and turn around. "Why did you call me '19' before?"

"Because that's your room number, and I don't like calling your name," he replied curtly.

Feeling even more distant from him, I wondered what I should do next.

John Matthew

I went back to my room and couldn't stop thinking about what happened earlier. She apologized after all these years. I didn't want to forgive her. I used to hate her before, but whenever she's around, I feel something strange. I want to tell her how I used to like her before, but now I'm not sure if I still like her.....