Chapter Thirty

Valerie

Valerie's love for books wasn't always there. In fact, as a child, she was one of those kids who would roll her eyes at the mere mention of reading. Books? They were for nerds who had nothing better to do. But all that changed when she was ten years old.

Her father had always been a stern man, prone to outbursts of anger that left everyone in the house walking on eggshells. That particular day, she couldn't even remember what had set him off—maybe she'd been too loud, maybe she hadn't cleaned up after herself, or maybe he'd just had a bad day at work. It didn't matter. What mattered was that he snapped, and before she knew it, she was locked in his dark office, the door slamming shut behind her with a finality that made her heart race.

The office was small and suffocating, with heavy curtains drawn tight over the windows, casting everything in shadow. There was nothing in there but her father's towering bookshelves, crammed with thick volumes that smelled of leather and dust. At first, she just sat on the floor, hugging her knees to her chest, tears streaming down her cheeks. The hours dragged on, and her father didn't come back to let her out. It was clear that she was going to be in there for a while.

When hunger and boredom finally drove her to explore, she found herself drawn to the books. She picked up a random one, flipping through its pages. It was some sort of history book, dense with information she didn't understand. But she read it anyway, because it was all she had. And as she read, something shifted within her. Each page she turned was like stepping into another world, a place where her father's anger couldn't reach her, where she was safe.

By the time her father finally let her out, two days later, she was a different person. The books had become more than just a way to pass the time—they were a refuge, a sanctuary from the harshness of reality. And from that moment on, she couldn't get enough of them. She devoured books, reading anything she could get her hands on, from classic novels to fantasy adventures to old poetry collections.

But as much as she loved escaping into the stories, a part of her wished she didn't have to. She wished she could experience real adventures and true love instead of just reading about them. She wished her father wasn't so angry all the time, that her family wasn't so broken. But most of all, she wished her life was different. She used to fantasize a lot about what her life would have been like if she was born a muggle. A complete normal person with a normal family. Being an Aesther, people expected things from her, a lot of great things. Valerie grew up surrounded by all of it—the grand parties at their manor, the whispers in the corridors of Hogwarts, and the countless times she heard her family's name uttered. It was as if the whole wizarding world had her under a microscope, waiting to see if she'd live up to the expectations. Her father had made sure of that.

He wasn't just a strict parent; he was a wizard with considerable influence, his word carrying weight in the Ministry and beyond. He expected her to excel, to be the best at everything she did. Top grades, perfect conduct, and a path set toward a bright future in magical politics or business. But Valerie wasn't like that. She just wanted to be left alone and in peace. In reality, all she ever wanted to do in life was lie in the beach and eat endless hotdogs.

Valerie jolted out of her thoughts as she felt Elyse sink into the couch next to her. Audrey, Malfoy and Maddison came in and sat down around her. Just like that, Valerie's attempt to get some alone time and finish her book was officially ruined. Elyse flipped her blonde hair, "I can't believe he's back on campus."
Audrey nodded, holding Malfoy's arm like it was a lifeline. "It's unsettling," Audrey admitted, her voice hushed as if afraid of being overheard. "I don't trust him."

Valerie didn't bother asking who they were talking about. Ever since Pansy's body was found, Percy Jackson was all that mattered at Hogwarts.Audrey leaned forward, her eyes wide with a mix of fear and curiosity. "Did you hear about the interrogation?" she whispered, her voice barely above a murmur. "He had no alibi"