BEYOND THE V

'Baby, I think about you

And I feel it, deep in my heart

Maybe we just ain't meant to be something

Maybe we are, ooh?'

*ALTHEA'S POV*

*ALTHEA'S POV*

November 5, 2016.

"Peachy, you came finally!"

Funny how every time I heard these words, it was my heart that jumped, while Asher wasn't even the slightest bit surprised.

He never lost, and my heart shouldn't have leaped again as he grabbed my hand.

"Come on, I saved you a seat front row."

"What? No, I... You don't have to." I pulled my arm back before he could move towards the seat, which I already spotted in the distance.

It was impossible to miss it, as it was one of the rare chairs remaining empty in the bleachers teeming with people, and the only one in the front row. If it hadn't been for the 'reserved' note and the blue and white varsity jacket I recognized there, it would have probably been taken already by someone who wanted the best view of the game.

To give an idea, it was the same row as the substitutes' bench and the principal's seat. The only ones closer to the court were the referee and the cheerleaders currently doing their pregame dance, and it was surely from there that I sensed a glare, even if I didn't get to check when Asher tugged me closer, his tall figure blocking my view.

"I know, but I need you close." He dived his head down until all I could see was pale green, all I could hear was his smooth whisper in the hubbub around. "So I can get my good luck kisses."

"I thought you didn't need luck?" I raised an eyebrow, the only movement of protest in my body while my lips were already parting under his warm breath, closer and closer.

"I don't. I just really want to kiss you."

Once again, my heart shouldn't have reacted so sharply at these words vibrating against my lips, as by now, I was becoming all too familiar with the inevitable force pulling me to his smug smile, the heat of his palm finding its place under my jaw, the sparking touch of his smooth lips, and the peppermint taste still burning on the tip of my tongue from the good luck kisses we'd shared yesterday.

Yet every time, it felt more intense, as if my nerves were becoming more and more aware of each sensation, of each part of him, from the twitch of his smirk as he left me one more second to pull away to the pressure of his fingertips in the back of my hair when my eyes fluttered closed, and when his mouth grazed mine, the searing adrenaline was also heightened.