chapter 5

As Mr. Chen drove home, his mind was consumed by a whirlwind of emotions. Thoughts of his daughter's future, the business he had built from the ground up with his blood, sweat, and tears, and the precarious deal he had just made with Mr. Jeon weighed heavily on his shoulders.

Lost in his deep contemplation, Mr. Chen failed to notice the flashing lights of an oncoming car until it was too late. The screech of tires filled the air as the two vehicles collided, the impact jolting Mr. Chen forward and causing his head to collide with the steering wheel.

For a moment, everything went dark as pain shot through Mr. Chen's head. When he regained his senses, he found himself disoriented and struggling to focus. The airbag had deployed, adding to the chaos of the situation.

As Mr. Chen tried to gather his bearings, he heard the sound of footsteps approaching. The driver of the other car had rushed over to check on him, a mixture of concern and urgency evident in his eyes.

"Are you okay?" the stranger asked, extending a hand to help Mr. Chen out of the car.

Mr. Chen nodded weakly, his head throbbing from the impact. "I think so," he replied, his voice strained.

The stranger helped Mr. Chen out of the car, guiding him to the side of the road where they could assess the damage. The front of both vehicles was crumpled from the collision, and the flashing lights of passing cars illuminated the scene with an eerie glow.

"I'm sorry, I didn't see you coming," Mr. Chen admitted, a sense of guilt washing over him.

The stranger shook his head, his expression sympathetic. "It happens. The important thing is that you're okay."

As they waited for emergency services to arrive, Mr. Chen couldn't shake off the feeling of unease that had settled over him. The accident was a stark reminder of the fragility of life and the unpredictable nature of fate.

As Mr. Chen struggled with his aching head, the stranger who had helped him in the accident rushed to his aid, guiding him to sit on the footpath. With a sense of urgency, the stranger dialled a number on his phone, requesting immediate assistance.

"Hello, this is Jeon Jungkook. Send a car to the texted location along with Ms. Lee," the stranger spoke into the phone, his voice filled with concern.

Mr. Chen's eyes widened in shock when he heard the name "Jeon Jungkook." The name was synonymous with power and influence, known for being the son of the notorious Mr. Jeon who had orchestrated the ruthless business deal with Mr. Chen.

Disgust and apprehension filled Mr. Chen's mind as he thought about the possibility of Jeon Jungkook displaying the same profit-driven mentality as his father. The idea of being indebted to the Jeon family in any way made Mr. Chen's blood boil.

"I don't need their help," Mr. Chen protested weakly, his voice laced with anger and defiance. "I can walk home on my own."

Jungkook was taken aback by Mr. Chen's sudden outburst, tried to calm him down. "Sir, you're injured. Let us get you the help you need," he insisted, his tone pleading.

But Mr. Chen was resolute. He couldn't bear the thought of owing anything to the Jeon family, especially after the coercive deal he had been roped into earlier.

"I said, I'll walk home," Mr. Chen reiterated firmly, pushing himself up from the footpath despite the pain in his head.

Jungkook hesitated, unsure of what to do next. However, seeing Mr. Chen's determination, he reluctantly stepped aside, allowing Mr. Chen to begin the journey home on foot.