__Prologue__

Running.

I'm running. Clumsy feet against mudded ground. Dodging nested sticks and bones, embedded into the dirt given to us. The only noise around me is the ringing in my own head.

Panting too. My panting. Hopefully.

If it isn't mine, I'm fucked. Not in a good way either.

I can't hear them behind me though. Why? They were on my tail a moment ago. Maybe less than that. What made them quit? Was it the looming darkness formed by the dying trees? The unwoven pathway with all forms of obstacles longing for me to trip and fall. To bleed over the destroyed forest path. The forest path we made through years of endless journeys. No, they are trained better than that.

Cold knives of wind dart past my face, threatening to slice my expression open. To dye my skin with a rich red. Ironic really. That same red that I grew to adore. To dip my finger in at the feasts and swirl it around my wine glass. To lick up with a swollen tongue. And now it is blackmail against me.

If too much of it goes, I'm gone. Too much has already dressed my skin from head to toe. Mother wants it back.

Oh how I have fallen from the ranks of Mater. How I fell I can't remember. Perhaps it was greed? My mother always called me greedy. Always asking for more when there was nothing left to give. Perhaps it was lust. No it couldn't have been that. My virginity couldn't fail me there. Gluttony? Pride? Envy? Sloth? Wrath? There is only so much I could have done. Too much at the end of the day.

Maybe they won't get me. Mother's alleged hunters. Skillful ladies. Trained from our young to serve the ones above. Maybe Mother will get me herself? Grace me with such glory before tearing my heart out of my chest and squeezing it against loving hands. Kissing me on the skull and cradling it to a hollowed torso.

Or maybe she won't bother with me.

Snap. Something's got me. Glancing down at my leg, I can see something clamped round it. Metal teeth jammed on my bone, clinging on for dear life like a desperate dog. A small chain connects it to the tree nearby. A trap meant for bears. Supposedly. Its teeth sink further with each move I attempt. Silver now tainted with red. More red.

I'm screwed. I can hear someone behind me. I don't want to look back. What's the point? I'm cornered. So without a word, I let myself fall to my knees and bow my head back. Eyes closed. I don't need to see who it is. I already know. From the sound of her boots to the slight gulp for air at the sight of me. The footsteps stop. She wasn't ready for me to do that. To give myself up so easily. But what else is there to do? I'm dead meat no matter the outcome. I feel something cold against the back of my neck. A gentle hand adjusted my hair, holding it up to reveal the bare skin below it.

I'm sorry my sweet Angel. No amount of training could have prepared you for this. To kill your own mother. I'm sorry.

My sweet baby.