Chapter Six

Amity 

Edric and I both stood in front of a store. The front doors were blocked by a car that seemingly crashed through it. There was no way passed it.

"Let's try to find another way in," Edric suggested while pointing off to his side and I gave him a firm nod before moving to go in the opposite direction. Walking along the side of the building I let my eyes trail my surroundings to keep an eye out for monsters. One had been stuck at the entrance of an alley, a piece of metal sticking out of its chest. I watched as its eyes found me and its arms reached out toward my direction but it stayed stuck. Then I brought my eyes back to the side of the building before they caught on to a side door with a blood trail going down it. Approuching it I saw a bloody handprint on its knob and I retreated back in on myself.

Pulling my sleeve down to cover my hand I used it to turn the knob and push the door open cautiously. The door creaked loudly and my eyes searched for any sort of moment. After a couple of moments passed and I found none I looked back behind me. Edric was nowhere in sight but I assumed he'd found another way in. And so I took my first step through the door and let it shut heavily behind me. Then I began to search for another way in hoping to catch Edric in the process. So I made my way to the side of the building he'd be at and looked around for such an entrance.

There was a shadow cast from a figure standing outside in front of a dirty window. Slowly the figure moved to place their hands underneath the window before slowly pushing it open. I immediately recognized Edric as he stuck his head in through it and trailed his eyes across the room. They met with mine and I gave him a quiet wave before jumping as a sudden crash came from behind. Instinctually I moved back and took cover behind a shelf. Then my eyes turned to take Edric in once more. His face shifted to a serious one as he attempted to slowly lift himself up and through the window.

The sound of a can falling from a shelf rung out across the quiet space and its rolling echoed in my ears. Slowly the can came to a stop next to me and I moved to look around the shelf to observe in hopes of catching what could have caused it to fall. Noise was never good as it attracted a lot of attention from monsters and humans alike. I'd expected a person but instead, I'd found us to be in the presence of something undead. A monster had stumbled out from behind a shelf as it exited the aisle. With wide eyes, I took my knife out and looked toward Edric.

'Go!' I mouthed, waving and motioning for him to make his way inside. He dropped through the window, his shoes landing on the floor with a soft thud. Then I turned my attention back towards the monster. I watched as a smile grew on Edric's face, his easy-going mannerisms leading me to let my guard down. Because it was just one monster which was something we could handle. I heard some shuffling and I paused looking behind me to the side past a few shelves of an isle.

The noise not coming from what we'd assumed was the only monster because it had been standing still. Edric, however, didn't seem to notice the extra sounds as he bent down to pick up a metal pipe from the ground. His grip was tight as he dragged in accidentally through the motion and this drew the attention of the monster he'd been sneaking up behind. He only chuckled softly while the monster shuffled toward him and he spun the pipe in his hand. My brows furrowed as more noise drew my attention to the window he came in and I noticed it had started to rain. Meaning now we were stuck in here until it passed.

More shuffling from behind me stole my attention and I took a step toward it while moving to grip the knife Edric had lent me. A loud thud sounded from behind me causing me to jump and look at Edric incredulously. The monster was now on the ground with blood pouring from its skull. "Edric!" I whispered in frustration. "Be more careful.  I think there might be more-" I had started to warn before he cut me off.