Chapter Two

The day after, grandma ate breakfast with us and I received a call from the shoe store about an interview. From head to toe, I dressed myself in a black and white suit with sandals. The manager, William, a short chubby man gave me a tour around the shop and provided information on good customer service. Copies of my identification was made and out the door, I was with a new job.

Mom called and I told her the news. Fortunately, she had news of her own. "I'm seeing someone."

"Oh?"

"His name is Robert. He's a chef. A chef! Can you believe it?"

I chuckled knowing mom was not skilled in the kitchen.

"You deserve to be happy mom."

"Yeah, I do. Alright. My break is not long at all. Tell your brother to stop avoiding me and text back."

"Will do."

"Love you."

"Love you too."

Around lunch time three of us sat on the couch in front of the television with the news on. It was going to be the hottest it had ever been in over a decade reaching the hundreds in Fahrenheit. My brother made a comment about wanting to go swimming and then the mayor popped up on the screen alongside four others.

Tomorrow a lot of you might be planning on going to the watering hole at the springs for their annual charity case. We want to warn you that it gets very dark in areas and we recommend everyone to not stay out too late.

A springs? That sounded interesting.

The dark-haired woman moved aside to the back and a familiar face came to the microphone.

Hello, I am Vaille Orien, chief of police as most of you already know-

Those three words almost made my mouth drop open. Vaille did say he was the son of the mayor but he had not mentioned being an officer.

"We should go, Lucy." I turned to look at Lucus. "At least for an hour to check out the place."

"Yeah, both of you! Y'all go and have fun." Our grandma chimed in.

I was not the one to argue at an opportunity to experience something new and fun for the first time. I did some threading, more reading, watched a movie, and hours before sunset I was back at the bench near the lake. Vaille came to mind and the moment we spent sitting around. A police officer. That was something I would have never guessed was his profession.

I sat there for maybe an hour and half when I got up to go home. On the way though, Vaille was standing there at the wood sign wearing his uniform. "Lucy," my name was said in such a smooth manner.

"Vaille." He walked near me. "What are you doing?"

"I'm not so sure. I wanted to talk to you about the water hole. I don't know if you heard about it or-"

"I have."

"Okay. Well, I think it would be in your best interests if you did not go." My forehead wrinkled. Why would he say that to me?

"Aren't many people going?"

"That doesn't mean you should go or your brother. In fact, the two of you should stay home that evening," he replied.

"Vaille, I don't understand. If you're talking about the warning your mother gave, I promise not to stay that late." I had my own personal curfew. Staying out way past dark was not my thing and I definitely weren't a big partier.

"Lucy. I'm serious." He stared into my eyes, the desperation in his voice took me off guard. "Don't go."

Something was off about him that day and I was not sure why. The Vaille I met in the park and the one in uniform seemed like two different people. For the first time, I went to work and stocked shelves with shoes in their correct sizes from the boxes dropped off by a delivery truck. I operated the register while the manager filled out paperwork beside me and when no customers were inside I placed sale stickers for anyone who were a member of the store to receive discounts.

I eyed myself in the mirror wearing my black and white shorts and tank top with a bikini underneath. My hair was tied into a messy bun that I probably would regret later and waterproof eyeliner underlined my eyes. Two beach bags filled with supplies, Lucas and I were in our vehicle and riding half an hour North.

Vaille's words did invade my head once or twice and I tried to come up with an explanation for his behavior. 'The two of you should stay home that evening.' If something bad was supposed to happen, would he not have spoken of it to the public?

As we arrived, there was a small booth in the middle of the road and a road barrier on both sides of it. The cost for entry was paid and we drove down a path following other vehicles and parked on the edge of the road. The signs helped us find the springs and many young people gathered around the edge of the water, laughing and splashing. It was a secluded spot, surrounded by tall trees and a babbling brook, the perfect place to cool off and have fun. There were benches and people at the grills cooking burgers, hot dogs, and fries. I saw coolers filled with sodas and juice.

Lucas already caught the attention of three girls smiling and laughing with him and as usual he flirts with a smile and rubs his hand through his hair. Rolling my eyes, I sat at the edge of the balcony that eventually lead into the water. My foot hit the cold water and as hot as it was, it felt great.

Fishes swam deep in the water and I watched a group of people on round tubes float down a trail that led elsewhere ahead. The place was bigger than I thought.

"What's up girl?" A guy swam in front of me.

"Um, hi."

"Why you're all dry and stuff, you don't like the water?"

I smiled. "I do. It's nice."

He waved. "Then come on in."

I went down the stairs and collided my body into the water swimming around till I made it to him. "Cool."

"You new around here?"

"Yeah."

"Where you from?"

"Portland but I live in Pollo Creek now with my twin brother."

"Twin brother? Thats cool. Where he at?"

My eyes glanced around and shortly after I seen Lucas sitting next to two girls and another guy on the stairs opposite to me. As if feeling my gaze, he turned to me for a split second. "He's over there." I nodded.

"Oh! Yup. I see it. Skin tone and hair the same except yours longer and poofy."

"Thanks." I pressed my lips together.

We swam around some more and even went under with eyes opened. There were caves down there and I had never felt the need to learn to scuba dive as in that moment. Lucas and the girls and I were introduced and they seemed like cool peeps, informing us they come every year and Lucas and I got invited to an ice cream shop on the weekends for a group hangout. Eventually, though, the sun's intensity died down and food filled our stomachs.

"Do you smoke?" Phillip, my new male friend who got me into the water asked.

"No I never tried that before."

"This helps me relax, ya know? I had all kinds of depression before." He lit the weed cig.

People started to leave when the sun had set and I tried to get Lucas to drive us back home but one of the girls, her name Jessica had him so focused he kept brushing me off. Phillip and I exchanged numbers and he too left me sitting on the bench watching my brother socialize felt like I was spying so I decided to take a walk down the lit path even as nightfall came to be I had found a cliff where the moon cascaded on top of the water.

I've always had a thing for nature since I was a young girl and I think Lucas and I father had a role in that. He took us on fishing and hiking trips a lot for summer vacations.