【TOEFL托福背景知識】考古學與海岸線變遷

托福(TOEFL iBT)考試內容包羅萬象,舉凡生物學、天文學、文學和歷史等等。所以,在準備托福考試的時候,多讀一些不同領域的英文文章可是相當重要!將和大家分享考古學(Archaeology)相關的背景知識,認識海岸線變遷的奧秘!閱讀本篇文章,可以幫助考生增加相關單字量,對該主題有更多的認識。

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

托福(TOEFL iBT)考試內容包羅萬象,舉凡生物學、天文學、文學和歷史等等。所以,在準備托福考試的時候,多讀一些不同領域的英文文章可是相當重要!將和大家分享考古學(Archaeology)相關的背景知識,認識海岸線變遷的奧秘!閱讀本篇文章,可以幫助考生增加相關單字量,對該主題有更多的認識。

主題摘要與托福單字

Sea Level Shifts Over Geological Time(地質年代中的海平面變化):

Sea levels have experienced numerous fluctuations throughout Earth's 4.5 billion-year history.Over the past 22,000 years, sea levels have been on an upward trend.Changes in sea levels have led to the emergence, disappearance, and significant alterations of entire islands and coastal configurations.(地球在45億年的歷史中經歷過無數次的海平面波動。在過去的22,000年中,海平面呈現上升趨勢。海平面的變化導致整個島嶼和沿海形態的出現、消失和重大改變。)

Archaeology and Coastline Changes(考古學與海岸線變遷):

An example from a million years ago in England involves the River Thames. The ancient river channel, situated near the river, unveils evidence of early human presence during coastline changes. This evidence includes flint tools, butchered animal bones, and preserved human footprints.(以英格蘭一百萬年前的例子來說涉及到了泰晤士河。位於河流附近的古老河道,在海岸線變化期間揭示了早期人類存在的證據。這些證據包括燧石工具、屠宰動物的骨骸以及保存良好的人類足跡。)

(以英格蘭一百萬年前的例子來說涉及到了泰晤士河。位於河流附近的古老河道,在海岸線變化期間揭示了早期人類存在的證據。這些證據包括燧石工具、屠宰動物的骨骸以及保存良好的人類足跡。)

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

延伸閱讀:Archaeology and Coastal Shifts

A coastline marks the convergence of land and ocean. Changes in coastlines result from variations in land or ocean conditions, such as erosion, deposition, and shifts in land elevation due to geological forces. Moreover, changes in sea level, whether rising or falling, significantly impact the coastline.

Throughout Earth's 4.5 billion-year history, sea levels have fluctuated numerous times. For example, around 100 million years ago, the interior stretch of North America, spanning from the Arctic Ocean to the Gulf of Mexico, was submerged in a shallow sea during the Cretaceous period. The coastlines of that ancient sea, known as the Western Interior Seaway, no longer exist. As sea levels fluctuate over geological time, entire islands emerge, vanish, or undergo significant alterations in coastal configurations.

The high point of the last Ice Age was 22,000 years ago. Over the last 22,000 years, sea levels have been on an upward trend. Approximately 12,000 years ago, during the retreat of glaciers in the most recent Ice Age, the release of pressure from the ice in what is now northern Germany and the Baltic Sea caused the underlying rock to tilt like a see-saw. Coastal areas inhabited by humans sank beneath the rising sea as the northern European coastline shifted southward, while inland regions gained elevation.

As climate change and global warming persist, we expect more substantial changes in coastlines in the coming decades and centuries.

In archaeology, coastline changes can reveal or bury significant artifacts. In England, around a million years ago, the River Thames flowed farther north than today. The old river channel is now buried under thick glacial deposits, but the silts within it are briefly exposed as the sea erodes the overlying sediments, uncovering the earliest evidence of human presence in Britain, including flint tools, butchered animal bones, and human footprints found in the mud in 2013.

Low Hauxley, a small village in Northumberland, has been an archaeological site since 1983. Numerous human burials from the Early Bronze Age were discovered in dunes along Druridge Bay beach near Low Hauxley. Over the past three decades, archaeologists excavated these burials located beneath a stone cairn. Due to the imminent loss of the site, a team of archaeologists excavated what remained of the cairn in 2013.

The excavations revealed that the cairn was originally built on a small hill rising from a coastal saltmarsh, and Mesolithic peoples have inhabited here .

延伸閱讀中文翻譯

海岸線標誌著陸地和海洋的交匯處。海岸線的變化是由於陸地或海洋條件的變化而引起的,如侵蝕、沉積和由地質力量引起的陸地高程變化。此外,海平面的變化,無論是上升還是下降,都對海岸線產生重大影響。

在地球45億年的歷史中,海平面已經多次波動。例如,約1億年前,橫跨北美洲內陸的範圍,從北極洋到墨西哥灣,是在白堊紀時期的一個淺海中。那個古老的海域被稱為西內陸海灣,其海岸線已經不復存在。隨著海平面在地質時間內的波動,整個島嶼會出現、消失或在沿海結構上發生重大變化。

上一個冰河時期的高峰出現在22,000年前。在過去的22,000年中,海平面一直呈現上升趨勢。約12,000年前,在最近的冰河時期的冰川撤退期間,德國北部和波羅的海地區的冰壓釋放,使地下岩石像搖搖搖板一樣傾斜。由於北歐海岸線向南移動,沿海區域的人類居住區域沉沒在上升的海水下,同時內陸區域獲得了高程。

隨著氣候變化和全球變暖的持續,我們預期未來幾十年和世紀將發生更加重大的海岸線變化。

在考古學中,海岸線變化可以揭示或埋藏重要的文物。在英格蘭,大約一百萬年前,泰晤士河的流經地點比今天更北。古老的河道現在被厚厚的冰川沉積物所掩埋,但其中的淤泥在海水侵蝕上覆沉積物時暫時暴露,揭示了英國最早期人類存在的證據,包括燧石工具、屠宰動物的骨骸和2013年在泥漿中發現的人類足跡。

諾桑伯蘭郡的小村莊洛·豪克斯利(Low Hauxley)自1983年以來一直是一個考古遺址。在靠近洛·豪克斯利的德里奇灣海灘的沙丘中,發現了大量來自早青銅時代的人類墓葬。在過去的三十年中,考古學家挖掘了這些位於石堆下的墓葬。由於該遺址即將失去,一支考古學家隊伍在2013年挖掘了剩下的石堆。

挖掘顯示,石堆最初建在一座從沿海鹽沼升起的小山上,而且舊石器時代的人類在此居住。