chapter 1

I zone out staring at the hanging newspapers surrounding Mr Shelby's head and my eyes drop down to his as I say, "I did not come here to marry you". I stare at him unwavering.

"I see", he says coldly . Thomas pours himself what looks like whiskey and takes a swig . "So you are y/d/n's daughter right ?".

I eye him suspiciously. "Obviously, I hope you keep track of who you're marrying . Or is this just a monthly occurrence?" I spit

"You have some fire in you . But it's unnecessary. I have no real business with you besides paying off your father's debt and getting what I want".

"What is it that you want ? What did my father give you ?" I question his motives and his sneaky plans that I've heard oh so much about .

"That's not your concern is it y/n?"

"Well if I'm going to be forced to wed it's only fair I know what I'm sighing up for ?"

He eyes me from head to toe and I squirm under his gaze before he lights a cigarette.

"Only one year . And you can go on with your life", he said not sparing a second glance as he walks out .

I feel all furry consume me and I throw the almost empty bottle at the wall near the door he was holding. "No , I will not be married to an evil man for one entire year . I am not properly".

He turns around backing me into the nearest wall. "You are what I ask you to be . After all you weren't cheap", he says before storming out and leaving me utterly confused.