born as a tiger

A/N: Thanks to @lunarelles for betaing <3 Cross-posted to my tumblr @star-my & ao3 @ ustarmyhope. Currently only a one-shot but I do hope to add a second chapter (smutty?) or maybe some drabbbles for this couple. Part 2 of the Daechwita Series (Posted OOO, currently the only work. See my tumblr masterlist for more.)

D-22

Emperor Min Yoongi of the Dalseogu Empire was a force to be reckoned with. His subjects trembled in fear when he was whispered about–even his fellow rulers kept a wide berth around him when they met at diplomatic events. He's a monster , they said. His reign was written with the blood of his subjects. He was nicknamed the Mad King for a reason –not that anyone would say his unofficial title to his face.

The day after the seventh emperor of the Dalseogu empire was crowned, he killed half of his court. Only a select few officials remained unscathed from the Mad King's bloodbath. Even the families of the officials he killed were not all exempt – wives, concubines, and children being wiped out by his sword. The Dowager Empress and the Second, Third, and Fourth Prince had all died that day, making it the second most bloody day the Empire had seen since its inception.

Lee Hoyeon trembled at all the thoughts flashing through her head as her carriage pulled up in front of the infamous Changdeokgung palace. Peering out through the window, she was unsettled to see how clean the stone courtyard was, the cool taupe a far cry from the dripping red she'd half-expected after tormenting herself with thoughts of her fiance's atrocities.

All the gossip she'd heard from the maids and guards back home in Dongjak Kingdom was now front and centre in her mind.

The carriage slowed to a gentle stop and the door opened, courtesy of the footman. Hoyeon took his hand, hoping hers wasn't trembling too noticeably, and took her first step on the grounds she would be empress of in three weeks.

A contingency of guards marched out from the front gates of Changdeokgung, a swish of brightly-coloured silk in their midst. Bowing to Hoyeon, they stepped aside, revealing the silk as the crown princess, the Mad King's twin sister, Min Yoonji.

"I'm glad you made it here safely, Princess Hoyeon," greeted Crown Princess Yoonji familiarly, as if this was their hundredth meeting and not their first. "The emperor was out often the past couple weeks ensuring the bandits would not attack the carriages. I imagine you're rather thirsty and tired. Would you like some tea?"

"Tea would be lovely, thank you, Crown Princess."

"Please, call me unnie, we are to be sisters in a few weeks."

"As you wish, Crown Princess." Hoyeon followed the princess to the quarters prepared for her stay before she wed the emperor.

This whole situation was most bizarre. The crown princess had been rumoured to be a fierce warrior–much like her brother, the maids had gasped as Hoyeon eavesdropped. Yet here she was, dressed in silks like any other respectable lady of the court and pouring the fragrant tea with a natural elegance Hoyeon had practiced for days to attain.

"So, are you excited for the wedding?" asked Yoonji, refilling their cups with the most delicious blend of tea Hoyeon had ever drunk.