iii.

A young boy stared into the large blackened mirror in his room. It took up the entirety of a wall and it reflected back the rest of the white room full of toys, a bed, and himself. He didn't look any older than five years old, his eyes filled with such vast wonder that could fit a whole galaxy inside. Infact, he probably could see the stars in his own eyes, for they were black littered with specks of gold.

Whenever he got bored he'd count them in each eye, but would always lose himself somewhere past ten, he didn't know many numbers beyond that, though he still tried, as if the thought of something past ten was right there.

Slowly he learnt eleven, twelve, and so on. All on his own, he learnt up to a hundred and cried happily when he finally finished.

The overhead light flickered and he hummed, crawling into bed for the night. Though, this night, he couldn't manage to get himself to sleep. He tried and he tried, eyes squeezed shut.

He was afraid of the dark. Whenever he opened them he saw shadows in the big mirror. Things like him, but bigger, moving around infront of a big red light. He pretended never to see it, but this night he was high off achievement. Slowly, he crept out of bed and pressed both hands against the mirror, looking into it once more.

He'd never imagine to hear a scream come from the other side. It was the first time he's heard a voice before besides his own.