[track one] - snap out of it

Rosalind and Warren Rhodes were raised by their single father, Franco, who immigrated to the United States after his wife suffered a haemorrhage during childbirth. He died of a heart attack at the age of forty-seven when Rosalind was seventeen and Warren was fifteen.

ROSALIND "ROSA" RHODES (singer-songwriter): Yeah, I mean it was tough. I had to choose between finishing school or keeping a roof over our heads. That's what it boiled down to. In the end, I dropped out of school and started working six jobs to pay the rent. What can I say, Pittsburgh wasn't cheap back then.

EDDIE LOVING (rhythm guitar, The Six): I noticed Warren losing a lot of weight around the time his dad died. Rosa didn't have a driver's licence, let alone a car, and they couldn't afford the bus fare, so he had to walk six miles to and from school each day. He never ate much, either, and it wasn't that he wasn't hungry. He would eat a ham and cheese sandwich and that was it for the day. I always gave him my apple slices and he scoffed them down so fast one day that he threw up and had to be sent to the nurse. I just remember thinking "Man, my best friend is going through it."

My mom picked him up from every day onwards and he started gaining back that weight when she started making him his own packed lunch. We sent hot dinners over when we knew Rosa was running low on cash or working late.

INTERVIEWER: Why did you do that?

EDDIE: Family looks out for each other. Besides, I kinda had the hots for his sister. [Grins]

ROSA: I fell pregnant with my daughter not long after our papá died. It was hard enough to feed two mouths, let alone three, and while the circumstances were grim, I knew that I wanted to carry through to term. Sofia was born in December -- Warren had just turned sixteen. 

WARREN RHODES (drummer, The Six): Billy Dunne was the walking talking sex symbol of Pittsburgh. He had a new girl hanging off his arm every week. You wanted to be him or be with him. So when Graham said he and his brother wanted to form a band, we all jumped at the chance.

BILLY DUNNE (lead singer, The Six): Yeah, I never agreed to be in anyone's band [Laughs] I said I would listen. Maybe give 'em some pointers.

ROSA: I was excited when Warren came home and told me he was joining a band with his friends. I always had a lot of time for the boys. They had good hearts, y'know what I mean? Graham was the one who invited me to come along and listen to them practice.

  ☆・・・★・・・・・★・・・☆

Rosalind ends up being half an hour late to the band's first rehearsals. Her black hair is plastered to her forehead with sweat and her combat boots crunch the gravel under her feet as she rolls Sofia's stroller up the driveway of Chuck Loving's house.

The garage doors are propped open with cement blocks and she can hear the electric guitars blaring from at least ten feet away. Eddie and Chuck are both on guitar, while Graham sings into the microphone and Warren plays the drums.

Rosa hovers by the entrance of the garage, her eyes honing in on the band as she tries to pinpoint who's off-key.

Billy takes a more hands-on approach to stop the assault on his ears. "Stop, stop." He rubs the crease between his brows as the band trails off on their last note.

"It's an E major chief," he points out matter-of-factly. Graham strums the right chord and a surprised hum escapes his throat. "And you. Thundersticks," he points at Warren. "Where'd you get those tree trunks?"