Chapter 27: Chaotic Arrival

Cleo listened to the pulse of life, his life. He stood on the front of the ship in solitude as only night could afford in the void of light.

The deck shifted beneath his feet in time with the moving of the currents. Events had been set in motion. Now he need only keep moving to an eventual destination, a kind of destiny.

He should be asleep. I will... His hearing picked up the movement of his crew in the background. They should be asleep too, but ordering them about wasn't his place. Nor would he interrupt their freedom. If they wanted to make their own plans, so be it. He couldn't fault them for not wanting to die in the upcoming conflict. If possible, he would've left them behind.

There was no turning back. Truth was, he felt like a loosed arrow, and soon he'd be spent—a one-way trip. He would try to keep his friends safe, but he did not deny the selfishness of allowing them to accompany him on this dangerous trip. If only he could've convinced them to stay behind. Reality had become a lose-lose.

Of the dangers they would face, he hadn't a clue. The details would have to wait until he had more information. Hopefully, he figured it out before it was too late.

Placing a hand on the sword at his waist, he realized the upcoming conflict did not scare him. Not excited. More like resigned to do what was needed. His mind had become free from fear.

Violence and death followed him everywhere he went these past weeks. Be it people, creatures, or land—things died everywhere he went. What would it matter if he snuffed a few more blips of life out?

Lilith. The pull he felt was difficult to describe. Trying to ignore it only made him more enamored. It beckoned. Urged him to act. It was like his soul had gained a will of its own, and it went against what his head said. He swore he could hear her voice in the wind, non-discreet but impossible to interpret. That is to say, the voice came to him as more than an echo. It was distant and urgent, but deep down, he knew what it meant.

Oh, how he strained to hear her subtle voice over the roar of ocean noise. The river of disembodied emotion begged to be heard. Anger, sadness, loss, and betrayal—the list went on and on. It was like he'd gained a new set of senses, and they were tearing him apart. He'd tapped into some sort of consciousness. Was the planet talking to him? The absurdity of the thought made him both embarrassed and confused.

Trying to focus on Lilith made him imagine he was leaning forward, standing perfectly still as the landscaped sped past. It felt like he was falling through time and space. The world held its breath, and him—he could finally find meaning from the terminal existence of being a person.

His destiny pulled him forward. No time to sleep or eat. He'd always felt like those activities only impeded his goals. Why did the world have to be so complicated? Kill... The constant echo in his head hurt. Death... He wanted to lie down and sleep. NO TIME. Time...

He opened his eyes to realize it was already morning. The darkness was gone, and the sun hung on the horizon like the promise of a better tomorrow. He smothered the tiny voice that cried foul. His voice! Had he always sounded so sad and negative? Something was wrong. He forced his jaw open before his teeth broke from being clenched. The details could wait until he finished. What details? Was he already dead? What was he doing? Lilith was out there. He could feel it, and she was getting closer. Soon. He was a plant craving the sun. Soon he'd be able to rest. Sleep, he thought longingly. An endless sleep, the voice whispered.

"Land ho!" Quinn cried from up in the crow's nest.

Her voice woke Cleo like a bucket of cold water. He closed and opened his eyes to shake off the bad dream. Looking around, it surprised him to realize he was still on the bow of the ship. His feet felt swollen, and his back and knees were ready to buckle. How long had he been standing? Next to him sat plates of untouched food, and a bucket of water paired with a wooden ladle for drinking.