𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

Spottedsong half ran, half stumbled home, her head spinning and her legs feeling nonexistent

Spottedsong half ran, half stumbled home, her head spinning and her legs feeling nonexistent. She tried to get the image of Nightshade, limp and dying on the ground and Dovesong, her eyes wide with fear. Nightshade's words whirled in her mind. I am no more a murderer than you! Spottedsong remembered the way she sank her teeth into Nightshade's throat. The way her blood flooded her mouth. The way she proved herself to be a murderer.

But I can't be. I was defending myself. No one can blame me for that. Spottedsong ran all the way to the camp. The dusk patrol was just leaving. Gorseberry, Blizzardpelt, and Acornshade were on the patrol. She ran toward them. "I found Dovesong! She's trapped in the MoonClan camp. Cypressstar is using her for healing his cats when they're injured," she gasped.

Acornshade and Blizzardpelt exchanged looks. Gorseberry looked concerned. "Okay," he concluded. "Let Lynxstar know."

Spottedsong dipped her head and rushed toward the camp. She nearly crashed into Mousetail, who was talking to Hollyfern. "Sorry, sorry," she apologized. Mousetail looked at her with wide eyes. Hollyfern was watching, looking just as concerned.

"Are you okay?" she asked. "Were you in a fight?"

"I'll explain later. I have to talk to Lynxstar!" Mousetail nodded and Spottedsong ran away toward the waterfall. "Lynxstar!" she gasped when she came into the den. Lynxstar looked up. She had been pacing, lost in thought. "I found Dovesong!"

"Okay, okay, take a moment to breathe, and then tell me," Lynxstar suggested, stepping toward Spottedsong and giving her ear a comforting lick. "Where did you see her?"

"In the MoonClan camp. They're keeping her prisoner."

"How do you know? Were you there?"

"Yes. I went to find Dovesong and I met with Nightshade, and we got in a fight. I ended up injuring her, and then I saw F-Foxclaw and Stonefrost come out of the camp with Dovesong, and they forced Dovesong to heal Nightshade."

"And she's still there?"

"Yes."

"Okay. Thank you for telling me, Spottedsong. You may leave." Lynxstar flicked her tail dismissively. "You should visit Badgertooth to get those wounds checked out."

"Thank you." Spottedsong left the den and headed for the medicine den. Badgertooth was just entering when he gasped in delight.

"There you are, Spottedsong! Where have you been?" Badgertooth asked.

"All I can say is I know where Dovesong is," Spottedsong responded. "At the MoonClan camp. Being forced to work for MoonClan. She looks desperate to get out."

Badgertooth looked distressed. "Thank you for telling me. Come in, let's check these wounds out. Where'd you get them, anyway?"

"I was fighting a MoonClan warrior. But she was more injured than I was."

"Wow. You must be a great fighter, then," Badgertooth mused.

Immediately after Badgertooth finished his sentence, Spottedsong felt like someone hit her in the head really hard, like when Bloodfur knocked her out at the battle a moon ago. The world spun. Spottedsong crouched low and closed her eyes, letting the headache pass.

"Spottedsong? Are you okay?" Badgertooth rested his tail-tip on Spottedsong's shoulder.

Spottedsong let out a small groan. She looked up at Badgertooth, but he looked like someone totally different. It scared her. She backed away, unsure of who she was looking at. "Who are you?"

"It's just me, Badgertooth," the medicine cat murmured, stroking his tail across Spottedsong's spine in an effort to calm her. "Spottedsong? Spottedsong, can you hear me?"

Spottedsong realized he had been calling her. Then she realized she didn't even remember her own name. "Who's Spottedsong?" she grimaced. The den was spinning faster than ever. "Why is the den spinning so fast?" She lost her balance, disoriented, and Badgertooth caught her. She looked at him with confusion.

"Spottedsong, you're just confused. Let me lead me to a nest," Badgertooth meowed. He supported Spottedsong and led her to a nest. Spottedsong crawled in, closing her eyes again while her head throbbed. Badgertooth muttered something else and his paw steps withdrew from the nest.

What's wrong with me? Spottedsong opened her eyes again and the world steadied. "Badgertooth, what's wrong?"

Badgertooth looked back at Spottedsong, his eyes clouded with concern. "I don't know. What injuries did you get in the fight?"

"Nightshade threw me at a tree. I think I hit my head."

Badgertooth sighed. "Your head injury got worse. But I don't know if I can give you any herbs for it. Just make sure you don't go anywhere for the next few days."

Spottedsong groaned inwardly. Great. Now I won't get to get Dovesong out of the prison. "Fine. I won't go anywhere."

"Good. Now, we'll be going to the Gathering in a while, so while I have time, is there anything you would like me to do for you?"

"Can I have some poppy seeds to help me sleep? I haven't had a good rest in days," Spottedsong responded.

Badgertooth nodded and disappeared into the herb store. He came back with three tiny seeds on his pad. "These should do the trick," he told her as he offered them to her.

Spottedsong glanced at him gratefully and licked the seeds up. They immediately began to work. "Thank you," she mewed quietly as Badgertooth settled down beside her nest. She laid her head on her paws and drifted into sleep.