〉 Let Us Dream 〈

She felt so safe in his arms

She felt so safe in his arms. As if the entire evil world she had soaked in couldn't reach her here. And since she found shelter in him, she knew he deserved at least a bit of truth.
"I can't tell you much, though I wish I could confess everything to you. I don't expect you to understand, but no matter what you think or ask for, you won't draw more than these few words from me."

"You're making long introductions." Dae laughed, oblivious to the gravity of the situation. Carmina shifted uncomfortably in his embrace, but he held her firmly.  "Come on, flower. Go ahead."

"I have an overzealous boss. He's constantly monitoring me, basically controlling everything I do, and criticizes a lot of it. You know, my job is... demanding, so I kinda get where he's coming from."

"Is that all?" He raised an eyebrow, surprised.

"We're facing... some difficulties at the company. Everything's crashing down on us, you know... ummm, a few employees..." she trailed off, unable to tell him they'd been murdered. "...a few employees have left, and from our group, it's just me remaining. And you know, he's a bit worried that I might leave too."

The burden didn't lift from her chest; if anything, it grew heavier. Maybe it was better if she stayed completely silent, telling him nothing. Lies weighed much more than silence.

"And that's why you didn't want to tell me anything? Just an overbearing boss? What position do you work in?"

And there it was, the crash. The question she didn't want to hear. "I'm sorry, Dae, but I can't tell you that."

He released her from his embrace. "You know, I thought this time you'd really take this conversation seriously, Carmina. What's so difficult about answering a simple question? I'm not asking for your credit card number, just your job position. You're making a big deal out of it."

You can be angry, Dae. You can choose not to understand at all.
"I'm sorry. I can't talk about it. My job isn't always safe."
I've said more than I should have. Just let it go, damn it, just let it go already.

And he did. He hugged her once more, seemingly he was even more tender. She melted under his touch. Again. "Don't worry, sweetheart. I'll protect you. I've got some pretty decent gorillas too," he chuckled and she responded with a soft laugh.

Oh, if only you knew who's really protecting whom right now.

The sunset was mesmerizing. Neither of them felt ready to return to the hotel just yet. Going back meant drawing this day to a close, and each new day brought them closer to the journey back home. Carmina, soothed by the gentle murmur of the sea and the comforting warmth radiating from Dae, nestled herself closer to him, slipping her head beneath his arm like a contented cat.

"You seem tired. Shall we head back?"

"No," she replied softly. "I'd like to stay here with you a while longer. Just to cuddle."