R.1.1

The rain is falling in sheets thick enough to slow Fenrir's progress as it careens through Edge.

The thickness of the water droplets on his motorcycle goggles forms a solid layer of distorted, wet, plastic in front of his eyes. He doesn't bother to stop and wipe them off, knowing it's an exercise in futility. The weather is relentless, driving curtains of water into him, slicking the streets under Fenrir's wheels.

Ahead of him, despite the rain, there is a commotion as he draws closer to the scientific college. He wouldn't know the grey buildings apart without the emergency response crews and WRO infantrymen running chaotically around in front of the edifice. He guns the bike's engine, intent on getting to the site as fast as possible to lessen the amount of bureaucratic check points he has to pass.

He pulls up with a spray of water, revving Fenrir down and swings a leg over the motorcycle to dismount.

"Cloud!"

Reeve Tuesti is waving at him, through the rain, his immaculate suit soaked, dark hair slicked to his head. Despite himself, Cloud finds himself appreciating how Reeve is always on the ground with his soldiers, in the thick of it in a way he never was when Reeve was a Shinra head. As Cloud approaches, he sees haggard age lines on Reeve's still handsome face, more grey at his temples although it gives him a gravitas Cloud suspects serves him well as head of the WRO. He gives his commanders orders right up until Cloud reaches him.

"Cloud," Reeve says and there is so much relief in his voice that Cloud bites back all of the denials and sarcasm waiting in his chest after the long bike ride here in miserable weather, "Thank goodness you're here."

"What's going on?" Cloud asks Reeve. An attendant tries to shield them with an umbrella but Reeve waves him away good-naturedly. "You wouldn't have called me in if this was some kind of localized disturbance."

Reeve gives him a wry but genuine smile. "Always to the point," he says with that even tone of his. "We've been monitoring gang activity in Edge since Deepground and think one of the more radical groups has finally decided to make a move. They broke into the campus and took five civilians hostage. They were holed up in the Biology department labs."

"And the hostages?" Cloud asks, knowing Reeve will get him up to speed on this group as it's necessary.

"Four got out, believe it or not," Reeve says, a furrow forming a crevasse on his forehead. "There was some... fighting in the building. Apparently, one of the hostages had military training. They managed to get three of the hostages out a service entrance but the ex-soldier themself isn't accounted for. The other hostages claim they went back in as a distraction. There's one boy still being held in there."

"Selfless," Cloud muses, just shy of censure. "Do we know anything about this ex-soldier?" The words feel strange on his tongue, in reference to someone else besides himself for once.

Reeve shakes his head. "The hostages were too riled up to give us clear details." He points with his chin towards an ambulance where three people are wrapped in blankets and shielded by a makeshift lean-to. "We've had no communication since with either the soldier nor the Renegades."

"Renegades?" Cloud asks.

"The group responsible," Reeve supplies. He sighs, kneading his brow with his thumb and forefinger. He hesitates, looking at Cloud with wary eyes. "They're a group obsessed with Jenova and the Ancients."

Cloud can't stop the little start of surprise his body gives, or the slight widening of his eyes. He's quiet though, which Reeve takes as permission to explain.

"They started really becoming active about five months ago, though they've been under observation since they first formed about fourteen months ago. They think Jenova's return is inevitable, that ... well, Sephiroth was her chosen.. mate. They believe they need a worthy host, a person who can take up Jenova's cells and become... a human avatar."