IV - CAMP HALF BLOOD

As I was beginning to make my way down the stairs of the sun bus, Apollo stopped me. 

"Selene." He said. I turned around. 

"Yes?" 

He took a few steps closer, pity present in his eyes. 

"Remember how I kept going on about how I, y'know.. see all? Know all?"

"Yeah..?"

"Well, I-uh, just wanted to tell you something. And this isn't a prophecy or anything, just a little, er, message I had for you. From me." He grinned, showing off his impossibly white teeth. "I know how you're struggling with your oath. I'm gonna keep it short- It'll all be alright. You're doing great, and things will work out. Just maybe not in the way you'd expect."

I stared at him blankly, before saying something really generous.

"Um, thanks?"

He flashed another smile. "Hey, it's no biggie. You need anything, holler at me. I've got your back, kiddo." He patted my shoulder. "Now, uh, you should probably catch up with your powerpuff girls over there."

I smiled, turning on my heel and running to catch up with the Hunters. Apollo followed me out of the bus.

"Take care, sweethearts!" Apollo called after us Hunters. He winked at Percy and I. "Watch out for those prophecies, Percy. Watch out for those oaths, Selene. I'll see you guys soon!"

"What do you mean?" Percy said. 

"What does he mean?" Zoe asked me, eyeing me suspiciously.

"Um, no idea."

Apollo hopped back in the bus. "Later, Thalia," he called. "And, uh, be good!"

He gave her a wicked smile, as if he knew something she didn't. Then he closed the doors and revved the engine. I turned aside as the sun chariot took off in a blast of heat. When I looked back, the lake was steaming. A red Maserati soared over the woods, glowing brighter and climbing higher until it disappeared in a ray of sunlight.

ˋ°•*⁀➷

Dinner wasn't half bad that night.

I mean, the food was excellent, which, as much as I hate to admit it, was the usual for Camp Half Blood. You can't go wrong with barbecue, pizza, and never-empty soda goblets. 

The only table that really seemed to be having a good time was my table, the Artemis table. Us Hunters drank and ate and laughed like one big happy family. Zoe sat at the head like she was the mama, me sitting close to her and talking strategy. She didn't laugh as much as the others, but she did smile from time to time. Her silver lieutenant's band glittered in the dark braids of her hair. Bianca di Angelo, our newest member, seemed to be having a great time. She was trying to learn how to arm wrestle from Phoebe. The bigger girl was beating her every time, but Bianca didn't seem to mind.

When we'd finished eating, Chiron made the 'customary toast to the gods' and formally welcomed the Hunters of Artemis. The clapping was pretty halfhearted, which was upsetting. Then he announced the "good will" capture-the-flag game for tomorrow night, which got a lot better reception.

Afterward, we all trailed back to our cabins for an early, winter lights out. The Artemis Cabin was lively, but it all felt strangely empty, with no Artemis to command us. 

That night, my oath was the only thing on my mind.