CHAPTER 2

Mary's POV

The day went by amazingly but I couldn’t help but think of everything Hannah had told me. Hannah and I had finished our lunches at recess and now we were outside to take a stroll where Hannah was telling me about the best places to eat at.
“Mhm.”
“Well, then you have to try a left bank burger! They’re heavenly!”
“Yeah! Hannah?”
Hannah nodded.
“I- I’ll be right back!”
I ran off as a thought immediately came to my mind.
The school’s called Miller High School and the person that Hannah mentioned. who had killed the Stuarts, is also called Miller.
I was now behind the school building. There weren't many students hanging out on this side. I noticed a giant crater from afar. What could that be? I ran to get a closer look. It was a tunnel sort of thing.
I looked down into it but it was all dark.
“Hey, kid! Be careful!" a guard came closer and warned me.
“Can I ask you a question?”
“Hmm!”
“Why’s this here? Some sort of construction work or something?”
“No! It’s one of the many mysteries of this place. We’ve filled it up multiple times but the next morning, the hole is back. A few people went down the tunnel but no one returned.”
Spooky.
“Well, thanks," I said and went looking for Hannah.
“Hannah! I just saw that hole in the back of the school area?" I said, trying to catch my breath.
“Hmm, yeah. I thought you were gone to the toilet.”
“Well, no.”
“Anyway, you have to try that burger, okay?”
I will try that stupid burger once I figure out this crap.
“Okay, okay! I will!”
A month went by and school was a breeze. I happened to be doing amazing in all my classes but I couldn't stop thinking about what had happened on the first day. Could it be? The start of something crazy? A mystery I am meant to unravel? A call to a thrilling adventure?
"Honey, you know Dad and I have to leave early tomorrow for a work trip and we'll be back in a week so when you wake up for school, we'd already be gone?" My Mom disrupted my thought process.
"Hmm. Got it!" I nodded, not ppaying much attention.
"So please be careful. Keep 911 on speed dial and if there are any problems, you can call the neighbors, okay? There's some food in the fridge. Go to bed."
“Can Hannah come over? For, um, homework and stuff?”
“Sure, but just be careful! Make sure her parents know!”
I nodded and trudged up the stairs. I went to my room, closed the door, and climbed into bed. I pulled up the covers and started thinking. I kept thinking about all of the things I’d learned about this place, over and over and over, until I’d tangled up all the threads in my head. I can’t help but feel intrigued to learn more. I want to know the truth. The truth had called to me. I must know. I opened up my laptop and started searching. I tried different keywords and looked on different sites. I even looked at social media pages and profiles but I didn’t find anything. It kept bothering me. The thoughts kept crawling into my head and scratching my brain to think.
Think, Mary, think.
Or sleep, perhaps.
For now.