Winter Nights part 2

"I love the night. It's intimate. The long hours where everything is still. The quiet is intoxicating. The sky vast, heavy, and breathtaking. It puts me at ease. The thick cover of darkness shielding me. The freedom of not being seen. Taking it all in feels like finally being able to breathe after hours of gasping for air."– Asa Mitaka

Asa wakes to the soft buzzing sound of the television and low hum of the winter service vehicle on the main street clearing snow. The door to the restroom creaked open and a cloud of steam started leaking into the main room. Denji walked out with a towel wrapped around his waist, still damp and face flush from the heat.

"Mornin'." Denji said with a smile.

Asa a bit flustered by his casual demeanor replies

"Morning.... Put on some clothes."

"Ok" Denji replied along with a peace sign.

"This guy has no shame." Asa thought to herself. While at the same time a creeping sensation spiraled in her chest. Recognizing the feeling she immediately dismissed it. Equating the feeling to delusion. She believes it best to ignore any interest she has in her new partner. That would spare her from any more heartache. As Denji is getting dressed in the restroom Asa says

"We're going to have to go out for some supplies."

The day was spent planning how they were going to turn around their unfortunate situation. Figuring out what they would have to do to get Nayuta and Yoru back. What stopping Nostradamus' prophecy would look like. Navigating areas outside of public safety jurisdiction to protect themselves from watchdogs. They searched for Fami at her usual hideouts to no avail. They hadn't found much success in their endeavors. The day had turned night. It was time to head back to the apartment. Now Asa and Denji are walking side by side wandering the streets illuminated by snow and cherry blossoms. The air is brisk, the wind fair and the sky lit with stars. They come to a pause on an arched bridge overlooking a riverbank that's been painted white by snow.

 They come to a pause on an arched bridge overlooking a riverbank that's been painted white by snow

Asa begins staring at Denji with slight disgust.

"Do you have a problem with me?" Denji asks.

"I don't have a problem with you."

"Yeah, well- I don't like how you're looking at me."

Asa turns away to rest her arms on the rail of the bridge .

"I just didn't expect someone like you to be chainsaw man." Asa says. 

As it is a far cry from the cool delinquent she imagined while writing poetry about chainsaw man.

"Yeah, well sorry to disappoint."

"I didn't say I was disappointed."

"Oh." Denji said blushing.

"So, what are you planning to do after we stop the prophecy." Asa asks.

"Shouldn't we be thinkin' about how we're gonna to stop it."

"We know nothing about it. So, we have no way to prevent it. Thinking about what comes after gives me hope." Asa replied.

"Work hard so that Nayuta can go to college. After that I don't know. I thought I wanted to live a normal life but now I think I only want to be chainsaw man." Denji says with his hand hovering over the cord in his chest

"Because you think it'll get you girls huh perv." Asa said with an annoyed pouting face.

"Wah, Hey that's not the main reason. I enjoy being a hero just for the attention and praise. If chicks like me only because I'm chainsaw I'm happy with that."

"That's sad and pathetic."

"It's not at all sad. If I was never chainsaw, I would've never met you."

Asa blushed and felt the same rush in her chest she felt earlier in the apartment.

"Hmmm, now that I think about it, it may have been better to not be chainsaw." Denji said jokingly. 

Asa stares daggers at Denji. Denji staggers backward after seeing Asa's face sour. Both burst into laughter as the weight of the moment evaporates. 

"It also gives me purpose. Every day I get to be chainsaw man I save tons of people."

"Hmph."

"What about you?" Denji asks.

"I don't really know either. I wanted my normal life back, but I don't think I was happy."

"How come you haven't healed your arm yet."

"The thought of drinking blood grosses me out. Even when Yoru tried to do it for me, I'd always stop her. I know I wouldn't need much but the thought of it just bothers me."

"I get it."

"You don't seem like you would. You eat people right?" Asa said teasing him

"N-NO! I was human once. I didn't want to drink blood or have a chainsaw sprout from my head. But I was determined to protect the people important to me so I did it."

"Denji.. give me your arm."

"Someone once told me it can be difficult to understand another's heart."

Denji stretched out his arm toward Asa.

"So, I should take care to remember the little things."

Asa grabbed hold of Denji's arm.

"How long are her fingers? Are her palms cold or warm?"

"Can I have some of your blood?"

"Yeah"

"Memorize the bite so that even if I lost my sight, I'd still recognize who it's from."