one

a/n: you know it's a m1ckeyb3rry fic when the main love interest doesn't even show up for the first few chapters

"Sora," you cooed at your cat, your torso jammed beneath the bed as you tried to pull her out. "Dearest Sora, please don't make this so difficult."

"I told you you should've gotten rid of her when you had the chance," Ryosuke said from where he was folding clothes to put in his suitcase. "Honestly, I don't get why you insist on keeping her around. All she does is shit in the house and make problems."

"She uses her litter box like a good girl, and she doesn't cause trouble on purpose," you said. "She's an animal, not a person. She's not capable of malicious intent."

"Whatever. All I'm saying is that things would be a lot easier if you had just left her at the shelter when you moved in with me," he said.

"I've had her for years," you said, finally getting a grasp on her body and yanking her out in one swift move. "She's a part of my family. I don't know why you're so determined to hate her."

"She hates me, too!" he said. True to form, Sora hissed at him as you walked past, her ears flattening to show the disdain she had always held for him. "And you always take her side. It's like you like her more than me!"

You rolled your eyes. "She's a cat. You're jealous of a cat."

And you're the one who's cheating, anyways. You left this second part unsaid, because it wasn't really relevant to the conversation, and besides, you had done such a good job at maintaining the facade of normalcy in your relationship that it would be a waste to break it just because he was annoying you.

That didn't stop you from scowling at him when his back was turned, pressing a kiss atop Sora's head and smiling when she purred at the show of affection — or was it because you were in the kitchen and near to her container of treats on the counter that she was so pleased?

"I'm not sure what to do with you," you admitted, scratching under her chin with one hand and opening the jar with the other, offering her half of a treat as a consolation for having ripped her so uncaringly from her hiding place. She accepted it daintily, which meant that all was forgiven, and you stroked her in appreciation.

She was an enormous, fluffy white cat, closer in size to a small dog than anything. Her eyes were a wide, endless blue, hence why you had named her Sora, and her fur felt like cotton when you ran your hands through it. You had had her for almost as long as you had been in America, and you thought that there was almost no one in the entire vapid country who you loved more.

Normally, if you and Ryosuke had to go somewhere, you'd drop Sora off at Chigiri's. She liked him well enough, and he was typically glad for the company, so it was a mutually beneficial deal. But of course, this time, Chigiri would also be away, as he was attending the same wedding that you and Ryosuke were, which meant that you were somewhat out of luck.

Sora dangled limply in your arms like a heap of rags as you paced about the kitchen, trying and failing to come up with someone who could take care of her while you were gone. Finally giving up when you realized that Chigiri had been right, you really did need more friends, you picked up your phone and called the man in question.

"Yo," he said, answering almost immediately, though you could hear the shower running in the background, which meant he was either about to get into the bath or had gotten out for the express purpose of answering you. Either way, you decided not to hold him up with useless pleasantries.

"Hey, Chigiri," you said. "I heard you're going to Reo and May's wedding?"

"Yeah, I'm between jobs again, so it's not like I need to take off work or anything," he said.