Chapter 12 - The Sharpest Knife in the Drawer

My heart pounded in my chest as I ran as fast as I could towards the other side of the room, my breath ragged and uneven. With echoes of Lydia's psychotic laughter still reverberating in my ears, I remembered the cruel sight of Eloise and Sam's lifeless bodies lying with their backs against the wall. The image of Eloise's head resting on Sam's shoulder was seared into my mind like some sort of sick movie scene. This couldn't be real. It just couldn't. I didn't hesitate as I reached the heavy, ornate door. Yanking the bloody key out of my pocket, I hurriedly shoved it in the keyhole and turned. With a deep clunk the door unbolted and swung quickly open. Behind me I could hear Jasmine's hurried footsteps and ragged breathing as she too ran as fast as she could away from Lydia. This room was very different compared to the last. It was a theatre. Ancient, dusty looking seats in rows ascended from the stage floor where I stood. An eerie sense of unease and deep fear flooded over me as if someone tipped a bucket of ice-cold water over my head. This room, out of all others, including my own, seemed to affect me the most. For a moment I was too stunned to move, but when I heard Lydias tantalising, eerie laugh I remembered why I was running. I scanned above the seats looking for a way out, I knew I couldn't turn around and find a place to hide behind me. Lydia was there with a gun, and she didn't hesitate to kill Eloise and Sam, why would she hesitate to kill me? Up above the rows of seats I saw a small door leading into a room. 'That must be where the projectors are' I thought to myself. A crack of a gunshot snapped me back into reality. I quickly made up my mind and started again to run.

"Oh Ethannn" Lydia called in a sickly sing-song voice. "Where are youuu? I'm going to find you. I'm going to get you!" I bolted up the stair running faster and faster.

"Ah! There you are! You can't run for long little boy." I turned in shock to look back at her. CRACK! I ducked just in time to miss the bullet that came whizzing over my head. She threw back her head and laughed a piercing laugh like cold water. Realizing that I had no other options, I made a split-second decision. I raced up the stairs to the small door overlooking the small theatre and barged into the room. It was a cramped space filled with old film projectors and dusty equipment. Gasping for breath, I desperately searched for a hiding spot. Finally, I spotted a dim corner with some stacked film reels. I moved them aside cautiously, careful not to make too much noise, and crouched behind them trying to control my ragged breathing. As I crouched behind the film reels, the adrenaline coursing through my veins was suffocating. The sound of Lydia's demonic laugh and heavy footsteps echoed through the theatre. Even hidden behind the stacks of reels in another room, I could hear her laughing. Suddenly the door squeaked, and the sound of Lydia's footsteps echoed through the cramped room as she searched for me. My heart pounded in my chest as I strained to control my ragged breathing, my mind racing for a plan. "Oh Ethannn, I know you're in here. Come out come out wherever you areee." My heart skipped a beat as she suddenly lashed out and kicked over a pile of reels. "Now... Where are you, Ethan?" I held my breath as she came ever closer. Suddenly I heard a loud crash coming from down behind the stage. Lydia obviously heard it too as she snapped her head around to look for the source of the sound. She cackled a laugh that made the hairs on the back of my head stand up. "Well, that'll be Jasmine! Now, you stay here and be a good boy, Ethan. I'll come back for you once I've finished with that one." Lydia threw open the door and stalked out after Jasmine. It was only when I heard her stomping footsteps making their way down the staircase did, I exhale and allow myself to take a breath. 'What to do, what to do?' I thought as made my way to my feet. How do I get out of here? I slowly crept out from behind the film reels, my eyes scanning the room for any potential escape routes. I could still hear Lydia's laughs from the small room, but this time, piercing screams of agony joined the mix. Jasmine. Lydia had finally found her. I suddenly knew what to do. Flinging the door open, I ran down the steep stairs towards the source of the screams. My feet thundering faster and faster as I drew up speed. All of a sudden, the terrifying screaming stopped and there was a deafening silence broken only by the sounds of my feet. I found myself standing at the foot of the stairs to the stage. As I reached the heavy velvet curtain, I took a deep breath and cautiously pulled the curtain aside and peered through the opening. My heart sank as I saw Jasmine, her eyes filled with fear, and a large silver dagger protruding from her chest. The sight was horrifying, and my stomach churned with anguish.