[33] Merlin

The torture didn't end when I've already drifted in and out of consciousness.

Hindi ko alam kung saan nila ako dinala, but I got a faint idea that they've brought me somewhere inside Nightspell's castle. Bilang isa sa staff si Sir Hamilton, hindi na ako magtataka kung mayroon siyang access sa iba pang wings na restricted sa aming mga estudyante.

In all my years of being a wizard in training, I admit I've explored a few places that were off limits in pursuit of my investigation.

But the crazy thing about the blueprint of Nightspell's School of Wizardry's castle is that it houses deeper levels.

Imagine an iceberg. Students and most teachers only access about one-third of the school facilities, but underneath it all is an unknown system of dungeons and tunnels leading to other magical dimensions.

'Johannes would be amazed,' isip-isip ko bago ako muling sumuka ng dugo. Hindi pa ako nakakabawi nang lakas nang sakalin ako ni Sir Hamilton.

The chains binding me to the stone wall made an agonizing sound as if they can understand my suffering.

"You're a bright student, Merlin. It pains me to see you in this situation... pareho tayong nakakadena rito, whether you realize it or not," the professor sighed. "Sabihin mo sa amin kung nasaan ang Grimoire of Forbidden Spells. I'll try to convince Ms. Geniana to spare your life afterwards."

I coughed and struggled to expand my lungs. Hindi ko alam kung ilang oras na akong ginagago ng isang 'to, pero isa lang ang sigurado ako...

"I will never hand over the book my brother got himself killed for," I spat in anger. Hirap akong magsalita, but damn it all if I don't get the words out my mouth. "Hindi ko alam kung anong deal ang mayroon kayo ng mangkukulam na 'yon, o kung paano ka naging tuta niya... but I'll stand by my goal: killing the two of you."

Sir Hamilton eyed me for a long time before letting go of my neck.

I gasped, breathing heavily.

"I figured you wouldn't be as easy to break as Professor Greco," he began while pacing the room. Mula sa kinaroroonan ko, kapansin-pansin ang panginginig ng kanyang mga kamay habang hawak ang kanyang wand. "You weren't the only one on our tails, Merlin. Kung maalala mo, naging malapit si Professor Greco sa kuya mo. We actually framed him for it after I stole his wand. But when Meric died, he resorted to his own invesgations and started tracking us down. He was this close to uncovering the truth of what happened that night we murdered Meric..."

"So you killed him," I finished. "At naging convenient sa inyo dahil buong akala ko si Professor Greco ang nasa likod ng murder. And let me guess, I was conveniently at the right place and time, so you framed his death on me?"

Sir Hamilton frowned. "I truly am sorry. Hindi na dapat humantong sa ganito kung ibinigay lang ni Meric sa amin ang grimoire."

I laughed, my voice cracked. "And why are you being Nian's lap dog? Ang buong akala ko disiplinado at marangal kang propesor? You even taught us about the school's shitty code of conduct, ethics, and magic!"

And for a moment, I can see remorse in his eyes. "I... I don't have a choice. Ang pamilya ni Ms. Geniana ang nag-employ sa akin sa Nightspell. I owe her family my life. Now she's threatening to take it all away... she has my family captive. H-Hindi ko kayang mawalan ng pamilya."

"You didn't want to lose your family, so you're fine with killing mine?"

Hindi na nakaimik si Sir Hamilton.

Napangisi ako sa kabila ng sakit ng katawan ko. I'm pretty sure I have more than one broken rib by now.

"If you want the grimoire so badly, then go and find it. Wala na ito sa pangangalaga ko."

Tumalim ang mga mata ni Sir Hamilton sa sinabi ko. Akmang susugurin na niya sana ako nang biglang bumukas ang pinto ng selda at pumulupot ang ilang metal sa kanyang katawan. I watched in silent horror as Sir Hamilton's body fell to the ground, punctured by several pipes and steel bars.

Unmoving.

Dead.

"Incompetent dog," Geniana suddenly walked into the room and over the corpse of her ally. "Ilang oras ka nang narito pero hindi mo pa rin magawa nang maayos ang trabaho mo."

Bakas sa mukha ng matandang mangkukulam ang kawalan ng pasensya sa kanyang mga narinig. She gripped my hair and made me stare at her deepset and lifeless eyes. "She has it, doesn't she?"

Hindi ko napigilan ang reaksyon ko.

Lumawak ang ngiti ni Nian.

"Entrusting a powerful book to a simple-minded succubus? It insults me, Merlin." She yanked my head. "Since you seem very fond of that demon, let's invite her again, shall we?"

Invite... Vela?

"What?! Wait, n-no---!"

"A wizard in training caring for a succubus?" Lumayo si Nian at sinimulang  i-drawing sa sahig ang summoning circle gamit ang dugo ni Sir Hamilton. With the tip of her wand, she expertly drew the symbol and inscriptions, as if this wasn't the first time she summond a demon.

But considering her bloodline, I wouldn't be surprised. Natural born witches and wizards are often affiliated with dark magic at a young age.

"Magpasalamat ka pa rin, Merlin. Sa kabila ng lahat, I am willing to share you. Bibigyan ko pa rin ng pagkakataong mamaalam sa'yo ang succubus na 'yon bago kita tapusin."

Just the thought of seeing Vela again made me nervous and ashamed of myself. Katulad ni Johannes, hindi na dapat siya nadamay sa gulong ito. I admit, I entrusted her with the Grimoire of Forbidden Spells because I thought it was a smart move to leave it in her care and get it back after everything is all settled.

But if I'm being honest, mabigat na rin ang pakiramdam ko kay Nian noong sinabi niya sa'ming may lead siya sa kung sinong pumatay kay Meric. The mix of instincts and trust issues in me told me to leave the book behind, as a safety precaution.

Lo and behold, I am now chained to the wall of a dungeon six feet below my own school.

"...Ah, there we are!" Nian smiled as the summoning circle glowed under her touch.

Muntikan ko nang nakalimutang huminga nang makita ko ang silhouette ng succubus na ilang gabi na ring hindi mawala sa isip ko.

'Lambkin,' my mind automatically called out as she materialized from the smoke.

Red lips, sharp nails, dark eyes, and a seductive smile played on her lips. Clad in black body gown, the succubus radiated power and elegance.

But something was off about this whole situation.

And just like that, I felt my heart broke into pieces when the prideful Vela turned and willingly bowed down to the witch.

"What can I do for you, mistress?"

---