6 | lost chocolate milk

Amelie

"Before I'll let you go off to drink some coffee and chat with each other, I would like to bring something to your attention.." Teddy, the pastor of our church, cleared his throat, waiting for everyone to be quiet after we had sung the last song. "As you all probably know by now, I am the headmaster of the school where we teach refugee children. A lot of people here, have their connections with the children, somehow.." He briefly looked at me, Gloria, some volunteers and also at Zev and Salomé.

"And I'm sure you've all heard about New Hope, the home where children can live, get warm, healthy meals and can play carefree like other children would. Since it's a non-profit organization, we are reliable on donations, funds and gifts. For the past couple of years, it has been going alright, but since the government isn't involved and the helping hands from around the area, even the country have been getting less and less, we are now at a point where money is becoming an issue, and there even has been a threat filed to us that closing down is an option." Teddy stayed silent for a moment long, then a warm smile spread upon his face.

"I don't think that's an option, and I hope most of you don't think so either. So, what I'm asking for now is that I would love for some creative minds to work together and think of ways we can earn money so New Hope doesn't have to close its doors. And beside the offertory, any idea is much appreciated and welcome. Well, the uncomfortable money talk is over. Enjoy some coffee or tea!" Teddy chuckled a little. "I really need it." He whispered.

Since it was my turn to take care of the coffee and the tea, I got Teddy the coffee, and a piece of lemon cake. He thanked me with a smile, stirring his spoon through his coffee. "What is it about the British that money talks make you cringe?"

I laughed a little, shrugging. "It went just fine! And besides, it's a good cause. Which made me think, didn't we do a talent day before? Where each sold its own talent? Babysitting, washing cars, baking cakes, whatsoever? Could that be an option?"

It was something I remembered like yesterday. How could I not? He baked pizzas upon a baking stone, I made the sweet desserts and the flower arrangements.

Teddy swallowed down a sip of his coffee, humming softly. "Actually, I quite like that.."

Gloria joined me, her eyes seeming thoughtful. I turned to her, thinking about it for a while. "Hey, Gloria.. you went over to the farm to see what kind of activities we could do there, right? What about we organise a talent day at the farm? With the kids who are joining? And of course, the other children or adults could come too that day, so we can earn money for New Hope."

Gloria quickly glanced at Teddy, a small smile appearing on her face. "That's actually a nice idea. What do you think about it?"

"I think it's an excellent idea, however, we should discuss that with the farmer. I'm not quite sure if he would appreciate tons of people on his property. I believe he lives a calm life, whenever no kids are staying over." Teddy drank the remaining of his coffee, placing the mug upon the table. "Can I leave that task in your hands, ladies?"

I nodded, shrugged. "Sure, we can manage that, can't we?" Gloria nodded too, I saw her exchange another look with Teddy. I wasn't sure what had been up with her, but knowing she had history in New Hope, too, I figured the topic touched her deeply.

In April, it was finally time to stay at the farm. It was cold, the day we left. Therefore, all of the children were packed up in scarfs, mittens and warm fuzzy hats. But although the cold nipped at our noses, the sun shone brightly, taking off the sharp edges of it. I admired the way the frost laid on the trees, the roofs of the houses and the grass that some houses had laid in their front yards. Admired how quickly the sun could make that disappear again, too.