'Then beg' (Chapter 23)

_________________

Pope and I make our way back onto the boat and silently wait for JJ to come back. Notice his overly anxious dementor I place my hand comfortingly on his arm as I look over his bloody face. He sends me a small smile at the gesture before I go to sit down to wait for the blonde to arrive.

I sit nervously, hoping that Jay doesn't lose his shit when he finds out. I hate it when people act like I can't look after myself, when I've had to look after myself my whole life. I love that he cares but some fucked up part of me believes that he gets defensive because he thinks I need saving. My train of thought is interrupted by Jays excited tone.

"Pope, Sammy!" He yells with excitement as he runs up the Jetti towards the boat. "Guys you won't believe what just happened to me. That was the best hundred bucks I've ever made!" Sounds like he had a better time than we did. I sink in my seat trying to cover the new bruises and blood covering my face. I try to avoid his gaze as he walks onto the boat. "When I say count me in all the grocery deliveries, I mean it."

Both Pope and I awkwardly stay quiet, ignoring the stinging of our fresh wounds. Usually, Jays excitement would warm my heart but instead it is filling me with guilt because I know it won't last long.

"Dinner on me, huh cute thing?" He jokes winking down at me, his smile vanishes when he realises my lack of playfulness. "What's wrong? Sam?" He asks, his voice laced with concern. Turning to face Pope, his brows furrow even further. "Bro, you good?" When he doesn't receive an answer, I place my hand on his.

Jay freezes for a second when he catches sight of my face, before his other hand reaches forward to softly grab my chin. His jaw clenches as his eyes immediately fill with anger.

"Sam, what happened to your face? Who the fuck did this to you?" His booming voice fills the boat.

"Jay, it's okay." I try to keep him calm, but he just rips his hand from mine and faces Pope.

"Who the hell did this to her?" His harsh stare softens when he sees I'm not the only one hurt. "Dude, what happened to your face?" Jay looks between us with desperation and anger. "What happened?" He asks with a stern tone.

"Rafe and Topper jumped us." Pope explains still not meeting the blondes eye line. At the mention of Rafe's name JJ jaw flexed tighter. "They said no Pogue's on their side of the island."

When Jays eyes meet mine again, I see the pure fury in his eyes. The veins in his neck bulge because of how tight his jaw is locked. He scoffs humorlessly at Popes words before going to storm off with a plan.

"Jay, don't do anything dumb!" I yell after him making him whip back around to face me.

"Don't do anything dumb? You're covered in bruises Sam, I'm going to fucking kill them." He argues before Pope interrupts his shouting.