2

At first, Gabriel's stay in that place was tormenting for him. He had ceased to be the cheerful and imaginative child he used to be and lacked any desires. Life had no meaning for him. Angry with God, he constantly reproached Him for taking his parents and leaving him alone.

Despite sessions with the psychologist and talks from the parish priest, who tried to explain to him God's purpose in life, Gabriel became a withdrawn child who only did the tasks assigned at the orphanage, nothing more, nothing less. He had lost the joy of living and no longer felt interested in reading those wonderful stories that had once transported him to a world of dreams.

It was January. On his fourteenth birthday, something unusual happened, marking the third year of his residency at that place. That day, which used to be special in other times, a package arrived with his name and the address of the orphanage. Upon opening it, he found a very worn book.

It had a thin binding and hard covers, with a beautiful, embossed drawing of a ring and indecipherable characters engraved inside, and a backdrop with a map of mountains, territories, forests, and rivers. The book was "The Lord of the Rings" by J.R.R. Tolkien, with thirteen hundred pages.

Gabriel nodded in acknowledgment, though he didn't show any emotion, just courtesy.

The priest smiled at him and clarified that he wasn't the author of the gift, nor was anyone from the orphanage.

"It seems like you have a friend out there," the priest replied.

Gabriel didn't inquire further, believing that Father Mario's words were an attempt to cheer him up and that the author of the gift was undoubtedly the priest himself since he didn't know anyone else outside. He put away the book, having lost interest in reading long ago.

The next day, as Ana, a woman well into her years and weight, served him a bowl of soup, she said:

—I suppose they didn't give you that witchcraft book...

—The book Father gave me? —Gabriel asked, surprised.

—Good heavens! —the woman exclaimed, crossing herself—. So, they did give it to you?

—What's wrong with it? —Gabriel asked.

—Who knows! But coming from a crazy-looking old man, anything can be expected.

—Crazy old man? —Gabriel thought— Father Mario?

—No! How could you even think that! I mean an old man who looked a bit deranged that accosted me on the street when I was shopping.

—I thought it was the Father. Besides, I don't know any 'crazy old man. —Gabriel said.

—You don't know him? He seemed to know you very well. He clearly told me: 'Give this book to the boy Gabriel.' Besides, he asked me to tell you that he was a friend of Jotavé... and I don't know what else.

—Jotavé, what a strange name! I don't know anyone by that name. —Gabriel replied.

—You don't know anyone...? It seemed fishy to me! Who would come up with such a ridiculous name? That's why I gave the book to Father Mario.

Ana's emphasis on not reading the book piqued Gabriel's curiosity, especially after she claimed it was a book of witchcraft. Soon he would discover that it was much more than that; it was the discovery of an impressive world, a world populated by elves, hobbits, dwarves, orcs, wizards, and all sorts of fantastical creatures. That world was none other than Middle-earth.

This wouldn't be the only book he received from that enigmatic "friend." In the years to come, more books of the same genre would follow.

From then on, Gabriel found in the orphanage not only a refuge but also a community of lost souls who shared his fate. Despite his initial withdrawal, he gradually formed relationships with the other children and the staff who worked there.

Among the children, Gabriel became a sort of older brother figure to some of the younger ones. He told them bedtime stories filled with adventures and magic, inspired by the books he used to read before sadness enveloped him. These narrations became a nightly ritual that the children eagerly awaited, a brief respite from the grim reality surrounding them.
With the orphanage staff, Gabriel developed a relationship of mutual respect and gratitude. The director, a woman with a compassionate gaze and a soft voice, was always willing to listen to his concerns and offer words of encouragement. The caregivers, although often overwhelmed with work, always found time for a smile or a kind gesture towards Gabriel and the other children.

However, not all interactions were positive. There were some children who, like Gabriel, carried the scars of abandonment and loss. Some of them, in their pain, became resentful and hostile, seeking to vent their anger on others. Gabriel learned to deal with these attitudes with patience and understanding, knowing that the pain they shared bound them together more than it drove them apart.
In summary, life at the orphanage was marked by a complex web of human relationships, in which Gabriel found both support and challenges. These interactions greatly contributed to shaping his character and his perception of the world around him, preparing him for the challenges he would face in the future.

When Gabriel reached the age of sixteen, a new stage of his life began to unfold before him. After his morning lessons at the orphanage, he dedicated four hours each afternoon to work as a messenger in a nearby office. Every peso he earned was a step closer to the independence he so desired, every task completed a victory in his struggle for a better future.
And so, with time, the day finally arrived when he turned eighteen. The wounds of the past, though still present, had healed, and Gabriel found himself ready to face the world awaiting him beyond the walls of the orphanage. It was then that he bid farewell with a tight hug to Father Mario, who over the years had become his second father figure, a guiding light and source of support in difficult times.

As Gabriel crossed the gate of the orphanage, he paused for a moment to look back. There, amidst tears and smiles, stood Father Mario, Ana with her imposing presence, and the children to whom he had brought comfort with his nightly stories. Each of them represented an important chapter in his life, a reminder of the bonds he had forged on his journey to adulthood.
But as he contemplated the past, Gabriel also turned his gaze forward, toward the future that awaited him on the street stretching out before him. It was the beginning of a new life, full of challenges and opportunities, and Gabriel was ready to embrace it with courage and determination. With a steady step, he stepped out onto the street, knowing that, whatever may come, he would always carry with him the memories and lessons he had learned in the orphanage.