Chapter 1 - New Beginnings

"Maria, did you serve that family over there yet?"

"No, sorry. They only just sat down. I'll see to them now"

I can't believe I'm still being shadowed by my boss, she won't give me any room to breathe.
I've lived in Italy for almost two months now after moving here from America. On my first day, I applied for a job in this restaurant, and ever since, I've been working tirelessly each night as it's my only way of making money.
My parents are very poor and already struggled to provide for me and my brothers. When I turned eighteen three months ago, I had no choice but to leave and make a living for myself. I had visited Italy before on an exchange trip and thought it was beautiful, so I decided to catch the ferry over here from America. So far, things are going well for me here.

As I was serving the family sitting at the table in front of me, I noticed a black limousine rolling up next to the entrance of the restaurant. It was the fanciest car I had ever seen, it looked brand new with blacked-out windows and not a single speck of dirt visible on the car's shiny surface. I wondered who could be rich enough to own a car like that. Soon enough, my question was answered.

The car door swung open, and two men climbed out, clad in expensive suits and carrying a serious look on each of their faces. That look alone was enough to tell me these men were of high authority. The way they carried themselves showed power. They began to walk to the other side of the car, opening the door slowly once they reached it.
A black boot emerged onto the pavement and out stepped one of the most beautiful men I have ever seen in my entire life.