Episode 30 - Frozen Hearts: Part 2 (Season Finale)

Hughie wished he could remember her name.

But every time he tried to, the vision of her bent body and her horrific expression haunted him. She was trampled by the horses as she ran away. That was all he could figure out.

“Hughie???” His brother caught him and dragged him out of the alleyway. “What are you doing outside? Where's Mom!?” He stopped for a second and clenched his teeth.

“Brother…where's dad?” He asked.

His brother shook his head and simply ran the both of them towards the village gate. “Hughie…”

“Run…please.” His brother pleaded.

“But…Mom told you to come with me.”

“I—I’m going back to Mom.” He shook his head again. “It's not safe to wait here. So wait in the forest, hide where they can't see you. Look out for my voice there okay?”

A man then came behind them. A looming figure with white aura so immense it could blot out the sky. His brother turned around and drew his sword.

“RUN HUGHIE!” His brother screamed and so he did. He ran with tears in his eyes as he booked it for the forest. Where he found a hole inside a tree to hide himself in.

He stayed there for 3 nights and 2 days. 

Without leaving.

Wary of any footsteps that would come close. This was when he received his Adjudicator Magic. The moment he hid himself in the tree, he vanished. An illusion formed around the small hiding spot, hiding it from view, and keeping anyone from getting close and finding his location.

He waited for his brother's voice to call him but it didn't arrive. 

He waited for his Mother’s voice but it didn't arrive.

He waited for anyone in the village to call his name…

But there was no one. After staying inside the tree for so long, he passed out from dehydration.

He only got out when he woke up to somebody having found his hiding spot and shook his body awake. “General! There's a kid here!” The person called someone else.

“What!?” 

“He's still alive.”

He was found by a soldier under the Commander of the Dusk Army, Heinrich.

Hughie remembered all of these emotions, all these pain. The root of his desire.

He opened his eyes and spoke his Magic.

“Peak Illusion. ONE THOUSAND ILLUSORY CLONES!” He casted and in an instant the entire Second Garden was filled with his copies.

Even the creature possessing the Lady staggered in surprise, canceling out the attack she'd been channeling.

Hughie didn't waste time. He would defeat this obstacle in his way even if he had to die. This descendant of Azarolla must die. He rushed forward along with his clones. 

There was no way to tell which was which as every copy came from various directions all at once. They bounced around and evaded attacks from Piety and it was difficult to keep up with all of them simultaneously.

Finally, Hughie saw the thread that led to an opening to her neck. It was over.

He leaped from his place and rushed to make use of this moment.