Chapter 7: Lost Cause

Lacy paced frantically outside the airport, running a shaking hand down her face.

"Will you calm down?" Mr. Assistant said, rolling his eyes.

"No!" Lacy burst, "They have George, they stole the evidence, and there is a dead body in my house, right now! So do not tell me to calm down, you assistant guy."

"Haven't you thought clearly?" The assistant guy said. "There is no way they can leave. Mr. Wyatt, is in reality, a dumb man."

"Are you serious, John?"

"No, and my name is not-" He started.

"Hey John," Lacy cut him off, "Remember the protest that guy was talking about?"

"Yes, " He smiled mockingly. "And my name is not-"

"Go ask someone what it is about, where it is happening and why exactly is it happening."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Let us leave!"

"Let us leave!"

"Let us leave!"

A woman joined them.

Then a family.

Then an entire crowd was chanting with them.

 Turns out the protest was going on because of some stupid new rule at the airport not allowing a minority use it. But that wasn't the point. What mattered was that the entire airport security was now trying to calm the protest, but their efforts were in vain.

And now Lacy and John could sneak into the airport without anyone noticing.

"You, Miss Filler," John muttered, "Are a genius."

"Oh, I know."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What do we do with him?" Shaun asked the mayor, still holding a knife to George's neck.

"I have an idea." The mayor said, grinning at George as he said so.

"Get the gun Lavender." Shaun smiled.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lacy had been running around in the airport for precisely 30 minutes. And yet, she had only scoured one part of the huge place. John had been following her, telling her to stop running or someone would notice them, but it didn't matter.

The place was in pure havoc.

People were screaming, asking why their flights had been postponed, and nobody had any answers. Fortunately, she could use this for cover. Unfortunately, it would be even harder to find George.

"George!" Lacy shouted, maneuvering around hordes of people.

"He's here, Lacy." Lavender Jones.

An icy chill passed her blood and Lacy scanned the crowd for the source of the voice.

There.

Lavender was standing with Silas and the mayor. And George. 

Silas had a knife resting under George's chin.

Lavender had a gun in her hands, pointed at Lily's face.

She was smiling, "We met again."

"Let him go."

"Oh for gods' sake." Don snatched the gun from her hands and pointed it behind her head, at John's head. He fired.

John lay next to Lacy's feet, blood pouring down his face. She stared in horror, the gunshot sound echoing in her. The crowd around them dispersed and Don screamed at them, telling them to stay back or he would fire again.

Lacy bent to help him-

"No!" Don yelled. "I will shoot you if you try to help him."

She looked at George, seeing the same petrified expression on his face as she imagined on hers. And still he mouthed, Go.

Lacy ignored him.

"I said, let him go."

"Who has the gun here?"    

"Who has four murders on their hands here?"

The crowd around them gasped.

"I'm ready for another murder on my hands." Don snarled. "Technically, only two are on me and one was a murderer herself so-"

"Oh, shut up." Lacy was stalling. "Your nephew murdered someone. That's on you. And he has my brother there."

What could she do? She had no idea. 

She took a small step towards them and then lunged, her hands wrapping around the gun. Don fired, the bullet crashing against her shoulder. But she snatched the gun, gritting her teeth as pain rippled through her body. 

The gun was now pointed at the mayor's face. 

Shaun dug his knifepoint deeper under George's chin. "Put the gun down."

Before Shaun could react, Lacy turned the gun towards him and three bullets nailed him in the neck. John was dead. Shaun was dead. 

Lavender cradled his head in her hands.

George stared at her like she was an alien.

And Don punched him in the face.

Everything went black.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lacy was in her car, making a rive she'd made ten years ago again.

The place where she'd hidden.

This time George was coming with her. 

The morning sunlight covered her face. The same way as it had before.

Lacy sighed, wondering why she was stuck in the same place she had been stuck before.

Lacy Filler murdered Silas Wyatt.