Chapter 1

While I’m packing my things, to move to Chicago from Springfield, Mother calls me.

     “Heaven get down here, NOW!”

I don’t know what I did this time but I could tell that she was upset. I run down to the kitchen to where she was.

     ”Yes, Mother?” I say sweetly so she doesn't think I'm talking back.

     “What is this mess?” She screams.

      She pointed to the floor where there  was a small pile of garbage and dirt.

       “I thought I told you to clean this mess up before we moved! Does this look clean?” She screams with anger.

       “But it wasn’t there when I was cleaning the house earlier.” I said shyly.

        I knew it was her because we were the only two living in the house at that time. She would also find ways to try and hurt me. With all of that anger I think she has had enough of me at this point. She swings her hand, hitting my face and making me fall to the ground. I start to cry quietly, from all of those years since Dad had left and that she has abused me I had learned to cry silently.

          “Finish packing the moving truck is here. As soon as I’m done putting all of the stuff into the truck we are leaving.”

          I run back upstairs to finish packing as fast as I could. I knew she would leave me if I didn’t finish on her time.As I finish I ran outside and see the truck parked there. I got into the truck as fast as I could.

We drive off, it’s 10:32am now and it’s cold outside. Mother took a nap and made me drive I didn't want to but she made me. I know I’m only 13, but mother doesn't care. She tells me “ If the cops catch you driving you lie, lie as much as you can.” I didn't feel great about this but I knew if I didn't do as she said she would beat me.

            We finally get to Chicago. It’s really beautiful out. I saw the sears tower . We walk into our new house. It’s smaller than the old one but it’s fine for me. I walk around trying to find my room.

       “Mother, where is my room?” I asked.

        “What do you mean your room?”

        “Well I assumed-...”

       “You assumed wrong, you will be sleeping in the basement.”

        When I heard that my heart was broken. Was I her slave? Was I just a pet that she had around the house? I didn't know what to think anymore. All that I knew was That was not the mother I once loved with all my heart.

---------------------------------------------------------