Chapter 6.2

A moment later, Sabrina blinked at the new sensation, another presence in her mind that was wholly unlike what she shared with Ford via their link. It was less a conversation than an examination, as if she were being scanned.

Shariara did not form words to communicate with her, instead using sensory pathways: images of her home on Allyria, the smell of a spring meadow after rain, the feel of her foster mother's arms around her, the sound of her foster father's voice singing, and the taste of a fruit-filled pastry that was apparently her favorite. The emotion all these things evoked was a potent blend of love and contentment, overlaid with an overwhelming sense of longing and fear of loss. The effect was devastating sadness.

"Oh!" Shariara said. "I'm sorry."

Sabrina opened her eyes and wiped her tears away. "No," she said hoarsely. "I am sorry. I'm sorry for your sadness."

What was that? Are you all right? Ford demanded, alarmed.

I'm fine. That was Shariara showing me what she can do.

Well, stop it, or I'll be sobbing in front of Scotty, and he might shoot me as an alien imposter, Ford thought testily. Where are you?

On the terrace. Shariara finds you all too noisy, so we're having a quiet breakfast.

Ah. So no big family dinners to introduce her. Got it. Scotty's taking the kids out to play hoopball—can I join you?

I'd love that, Sabrina thought. She tuned back in to Shariara, who was looking at her with a puzzled expression. "Your brother is joining us."

"I'd like to get to know him," Shariara said. "You share a link?"

"Yes. It's very different from what you do."

"I know. Though I can do that too. It's just much harder," Shariara said.

"Like speaking is harder than thinking, I imagine."

"Yes. That is an appropriate analogy."

Sabrina smiled. "Your vocabulary is very advanced for your age."

"When you can sense thoughts, you learn words quickly," Shariara replied, smiling back. "But I am also held to be a good student."

"That doesn't surprise me," Sabrina said. "All your siblings are quick learners. And your oldest brother is a genius."

"I would like to meet them all. Just...not all at once. It is hard to pay attention when too many minds are in one room."

"Don't worry. We'll do our best not to overwhelm you." Sabrina paused to chew and swallow, then added, "Are children more of a problem than adults?"

"Yes, significantly. Children have to be taught to control their thoughts. Until they do, all the effort is on my side."

"Well, all your siblings are older than you, so no problem there. I'm afraid I didn't realize how challenging you would find our home, though."

"I will adapt," Shariara assured her. "And you are restful to be around. The baby is content, and that is reassuring."

Sabrina blinked in surprise. "You can sense her thoughts?"

"They are not really thoughts yet. More like...sensations. But yes, I can feel her."

Sabrina took a moment to absorb that thought. "That's...good. So you'll let me know if she is ever in distress?"

"Of course. I have a little sister," Shariara said, looking happier. "She is only two. I was the first person she could communicate with, even before Mama." Then she sighed. "I hope she does not think I abandoned her."

"I'm sure her parents explained that it's only a visit," Sabrina said. "What's her name?"

"Zali."

"That's pretty. Did you know you're named after your grandmother? I met her once."

"I know where my name came from. It's very unusual on Allyria. Mostly I'm called Ara."

"May I call you that, then?"

"I'd like that."

They smiled at each other as Ford joined them, bending to kiss Sabrina's cheek, then sitting down in one of the empty chairs. "Good morning, darling. And good morning again, sister."

"Good morning again, Ford," Shariara replied.

Sabrina chuckled. "Good morning. You think Scotty can handle the gang single handedly?"

"He was pretty confident, yes. But I asked Asdis to be the cheering section, just in case."

"Prudent," Sabrina said.

"We had a message from Ylar Hariley. The kids are doing well and Ranja is improving. She's still confused, but she knows Corbin and Nera. Cynthia ran up there to do a quick check, but she'll be back soon for your daily checkup."

"I didn't realize I slept so late," Sabrina said.

"Cynthia said to let you sleep as much as you want, so we did. Mother was here only briefly, to bring Shariara. She plans to be gone no more than four days by our timeline. That will allow even the most distant Realm worlds to send representatives, and most Wayships to depart. Khediva will remain for the funerals, of course, and Nllata aïé Madat have requested to remain as well." Ford paused, then continued, "Scotty says he and Aurora will be happy to sing with us, for both funerals if we want."

Sabrina swallowed her bite of food. "Would you rather solo for Mira?"

He shook his head. "I don't...think I can."

Sabrina felt his grief seep through the link despite his effort to contain it. She reached for his hand under the table and squeezed it, feeling her own throat constrict with sadness.

Shariara said, "Perhaps we could all sing for her together, all of us siblings? I did not know her, but I grieve the lost chance to do so."

"We should check with Kaz and Lira," Sabrina said, feeling Ford still trying to get his voice under control. "They were closest to her, so they may want to do something on their own. But certainly you may sing with us, Ara."

"Thank you," she replied. "You refer to Shorkaz and Kalira? I learned everyone's names, but not nicknames."

"Yes," Sabrina said. "I see, though, that you are indeed a fast learner since you called your brother Ford, not Niavar."

Shariara chuckled. "I deserve no credit for that, with three young children calling him Uncle Ford frequently and loudly throughout breakfast."

Sabrina smiled, easily able to picture it from her own similar experiences. Ford definitely had a way with children, not surprising since he had so many younger siblings. "The others aren't hard to pick up. They're mostly shortened versions. I think the only ones who regularly get called by their proper names are Baldaran and Kashmia."

"She lives on Avestar, correct? Will I meet her?"

"She will be here for the funerals," Sabrina assured her. "She has three children, whom I assume she will bring with her. Two boys and a girl."

"Like the Ruschar children," Shariara remarked.

Ford snorted. "Hardly! Kashmia is the most dignified of all of us, and her children are accordingly well-behaved. Unlike the band of hooligans no doubt damaging my hoopball court." He paused, and they could hear the shrieks and shouts of the children from the other side of the palace.

Sabrina said, "I'm afraid peace and quiet will be in short supply for the foreseeable future. Ara, if it gets too noisy, just tell me. We can find a quieter place for you. You could meet many of your siblings up at Dansestari."

Ford suppressed an exclamation, then took a deep breath. "Or, you could wait for them all to invade us. As Kaz and Lira just have."