▄︻デ══━一💥 chapter 2

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅ ⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

"Power wasn't just about control; it was about the illusion of it. When the bride vanished, so did the illusion, and Matteo Wilder was not a man who tolerated uncertainty."

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅ ⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Matteo Wilder paced back and forth in the small room behind the chapel. The heavy brocade curtains did little to muffle the murmurs of the assembled guests outside, their voices tinged with anticipation. It was supposed to be a day of celebration, a union that would solidify his hold on New York's underworld and bring a fragile peace between his crime family and the Lorenzos. But there was something wrong. Something he couldn't quite place.

The usual calm that defined Matteo's demeanor was slipping. He was known for his icy resolve, a man who could navigate the bloodiest of deals without breaking a sweat. But now, there was a subtle twitch in his jaw, an unusual restlessness in his step.

His most trusted lieutenant, Vincent, stood by the door, watching him with a cautious gaze. "She's not here yet, Matteo," Vincent said, keeping his voice low. "It's been over ten minutes since the bridesmaids went in."

Matteo stopped pacing and fixed his dark eyes on Vincent. "Did you check the bridal suite?"

Vincent nodded. "Twice. It's empty."

The words landed like a punch. Matteo felt a surge of anger, quickly followed by a wave of disbelief. Maribella was supposed to be here, walking down the aisle in her elaborate gown, ready to become his wife. The deal had been struck, the arrangements made. Yet now, she was nowhere to be found.

"Find her," Matteo said, his voice dangerously calm. "Search the entire building. She couldn't have gone far."

Vincent nodded and slipped out of the room, barking orders to the other guards as he went. Matteo remained behind, his mind racing. How could this happen? He had ensured every detail was covered, every loose end tied up. Maribella was under constant watch, her movements controlled to ensure she would be here today. And yet, she had vanished.

He strode to the window and peered out, scanning the grounds below. The guests in the courtyard were growing restless, their curiosity turning to concern. The string quartet continued to play, but the cheerful notes felt hollow to Matteo's ears.

The door opened behind him, and Vincent returned, his expression grim. "No sign of her," he said. "The guards on the exits didn't see anyone leave, but she's not in the building."

Matteo's fists clenched. "How is that possible? She couldn't just disappear."

Vincent hesitated before speaking. "There's a fire escape leading down from the bridal suite. We found a piece of her dress caught on the railing."

Matteo's anger flared, a dark fire that threatened to consume him. Maribella Lorenzo, the woman who was supposed to be his bride, had made a fool of him. She had escaped, right under his nose. And now, she was out there, somewhere in the city, putting everything he'd worked for at risk.

He turned to Vincent, his voice cold and hard. "Mobilize everyone. Lock down the area. I want roadblocks on every street within a ten-block radius. No one leaves without being checked. Find her, Vincent. I don't care what it takes."

Vincent nodded and quickly left to carry out the orders. Matteo remained alone, his gaze fixed on the darkening sky outside. This was more than just a broken promise; this was a challenge to his authority, a test of his control.

The Obsidian King would not be made a fool. Not by anyone. Especially not by his own bride.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅ ⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Thanks for reading!
Hope you enjoyed.
Word count: 606

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅ ⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅