Until we meet again

Mudswirls , a lone she cat in the territory of Riverclan . Ever since she was a newborn she had been different , leading to her spending most of her life alone and in the shadows . That's when the hallucinations started happening . At first it was a hint of foul smells , which turned stronger and stronger . Mudswirls gave in , initiating contact with the shadow and living most of her life with it . They had grown to be good friends , despite it being a fragment of her imagination which just so happened to spring to life . And now here they were , next to the river , watching as the sun sets between the crowns of the trees on Thunderclan territory .

 '' I was alone , i am alone . No one cared and doesn't care about me in this clan , so if this , you , are the closest I'll get to having a friend then I'll take it ''

 '' I'm here to serve as your friend , your companion , until your last breath , Mudswirls , and nothing will stop me from fulfilling my purpose '' 

 Mudswirls tucked her paws under herself , glancing at the hallucination .

 '' Do you have a name ? '' the she cat asked , tilting her head to get a better view towards the he . The shadow opened his eyes to look at Mudswirls , his black fur bristling in the wind .

 '' I.... don't '' he finally answering , hesitating a little . Mudswirls hummed , not taking her gaze off of the tom .

 '' How about...Xihir ? '' 

It was now Xihirs turn to tilt his head as the she cat chuckled . '' It means...nothingness , it essentially resembles the void itself.. i thought I'd fit '' .The tom hesitated before nodding , smiling as best as he could . '' I like it , Mudswirls . Thank you ''

Mudswirls hummed . ''You're a fragment of my imagination... if i die , you will fade aswell '' she stated , with a hint of disappointment '' Will we meet again ? '' . Xihir didn't answer right away , his pupils dilated as he thought about it . '' It's unlikely... and mostly impossible '' he finally answered and silence fell upon them .

Time flew by , Xihir and Mudswirls continuing to spend time together , fooling around as the clan believed more and more that Mudswirls had gone crazy . Until one day , a meeting with an unusual purpose has been called .

'' Mudswirls , the elders and i have decided that it is time for you to go . Your madness has been too much of a burden for our clan . ''

Everything blacked out , the she cat barely remembered as she left the clan , heading for the thunderpath with Xihir at her side , trying desperately to stop her . She knew , he knew . This was the end for both of them . The hallucination gave up , following slowly . The day had to come sooner or later , whether they liked it or not . 

Mudswirls remembered putting her paws on the cold , hard surface . Then she remembered the monster , roaring at unimaginable speed towards her . She braced for the impact . Mudswirls felt nothing , only what seemed to be a stinging sensation in her torso . She opened her eyes to look at Xihir , coughing up blood . She smiled softly at her friend .

'' Thank you , Xihir '' she wheezed before finishing her sentence '' I believe we will.. meet again... perhaps in Starclan , or in another life .'

The tom leaned forward , touching noses with the she cat . Xihir laid in front of her , watching closely as Mudswirls eyes struggled to stay open . 

'' Sleep , old friend , for i am with you '' 

Mudswirls smiled , a tear rolling on her cheek and falling on the concrete . She gave her last breath , embracing the darkness as a friend . The memory of Xihir faded somewhere dark , waiting to be awoken yet again . His body faded in time as he watched his host closely , tears streaming down from his eyes . 

Two cats stood tall on a hill , the female laughed , nudging the tom 

 '' I told you we'd meet again , fool ! '' 

 The sire smiled fondly , looking up at the blue sky

 '' Perhaps i have underestimated the intuition of clancats , or maybe perhaps Starclan really does control everything 'round here '' 

 They smiled at each other 

They were together

 The mission was complete 

 And now they can rest , for they will never have to part ways again