one

Meredith's POV

   I've been tattooing for about three months now. I've been under an apprenticeship for seven months in total. Mike had promised me, after high school, that I could practice tattooing with him. The catch was I needed to graduate with all straight A's. Which I did. I walked into his tattoo shop after my graduation, still in my cap and gown, showing him my diploma and transcripts. My sister, Josie, was right behind me. Mike couldn't help but laugh and fulfill his promise to me. Months later, he is now our landlord and my tattoo mentor. Our apartment was upstairs of the shop, which made it easier for me.

   Since I was about 12, Josie has been my legal guardian. Well, until I turned 18. Our mother is in Mexico, she was deported. Our father died when I was 6. We both visit our mom down in Tijuana on holidays and birthdays. We still make it work. Josie legit pulled a Fiona Gallagher to make ends meet. We lived in a house before it was foreclosed. Josie made sure I didn't go to the system. Josie and Mike went to high school together. When he found out about us, he offered his then apartment to us. Mike ended up moving into his new home. He owns his house and our apartment. Making him our landlord. We still cannot thank him enough.

"Not too deep." Mike informed me. I was practicing on fake skin, isn't the best it worked. I sighed as I sat back on the swivel chair.

"It's not like the skin is going to scream..."

"But your future customer will." Mike said sarcastically. I looked at the time on my phone. It's time for my shift at the coffee shop.

"I have to run. Same time tomorrow?" I asked before getting up to put away my tattooing stuff. Mike shook his head.

"I'm not going to be in. You'll be working the desk." Mike informed me.

"Can I-"

"No... Not yet." Mike cut me off. "Meredith Erin Ramirez, not yet-"

"Chill on my government name." I teased

   We both laughed. Once I was done cleaning up, I headed down to work. It was only up the street. Once I made it, I clocked in and got to work. I loved coffee, so it was a perfect. I worked in San Diego's famous coffee shop. It was everyone's favorite. It's more of like a if you know you know type thing.

"Hey girly." My coworker, Sophia greeted me as she came in. I had looked at the time, our shift started about 30 minutes ago. She was always late. We we're supposed to come in at the same time. I just chuckled to myself and shook my head.

"Hey Sophie." We then got to work. It wasn't that much of a busy day. However, we were on our feet.

~

   It was now about 11:15pm. Sophia and I were off. We said our byes to our manager and headed off.

"You need a ride?" Sophia asked.

"No, it's okay. You know I literally live around the corner." Sophia sighed and nodded. "Well, see you next week. I'm going to be in tomorrow, so come by if you want." I smiled and nodded. We said our byes before I headed back home. It was a bit of a chilly night, but nothing bad. It was only about a 7-minute walk, but I still enjoyed it. The street that I lived on was the downtown area. Meaning that the nights are very busy. Especially Friday nights. I got to the tattoo shop and entered. There, I found Mike. It was closing time, but he usually likes to hang around and finish a few things.

"Hey kiddo. How was work?" Mike greeted me.

"It was work..." I shrugged. "What are you working on?" I asked as I looked at his work.

"This piece for a Karen... her first tattoo." Mike explained.

"Well, it's looking good... I'm going to hit the sac. I'm tired. Hey, I'll see you next week Mike." I said before heading upstairs.

"Night kiddo!"

~

"Mere, I'll be home late tonight." Josie called out. I was awoken by her.

"Okay!" I called back. I heard the door shut. The time was about 8:30. The tattoo shop doesn't open until 9. So, I have time.

   I walked down to the shop and greeted the tattoo artists who have made it in. I'm very much cool with everyone and support me with tattooing. I connected my music and got busy with logging into the computer to see what we had for today.

"Goodmorning." My thoughts were interrupted. I looked up to see the most gorgeous man I've seen. He was about 5'10. Heavily tattooed and long hair. "I had an appointment with Mike." I was in awe. "My names Tony..." Shit. Snap out of it.

"Oh- umm. Yeah Mike isn't in today...." Tony made a long face. "Y-yeah I'm sorry. He didn't tell me that he had an appointment today." I said before checking my phone. He hasn't texted.

"Ahh, that's too bad. I didn't really have anything planned. Is there someone else that can tattoo me?" We usually run based off appointments, and almost all the artists we busy today... Should I?

"W-Well, maybe I can help you?... If you wanted to." Tony's expression changed. "Let me show you, my work." I said as I gave him my phone full of references. Tony scrolled through my Instagram. His smiled got bigger.

"Yeah, I'm down." I know Mike had said no, but I figured maybe I can try. I have tattooed Mike before. He said it's good, but he hadn't trusted me fully with other people. Which I understand. "I just want something on my leg. Just to fill up the space." Okay, so something simple. "On my calve. I'll tell you what I want and you just draw me up something?" Tony asked sweetly.

"Y-Yeah, I can do that." I smiled.