014

I feel him become rigid beneath me when my lips touch his, but then he relaxes, tilting his head back to press further into the kiss. Kawaki is kissing me back. This feeling—this instant comfort from his touch, this warmth—is this what Kawaki feels every time he's around me?

There's an unbelievable sense of solitude in this moment with him. The sounds of the river flowing, the breeze rustling the trees, even the distant chatter from people closing up their market stalls—all of it fades away. It's just us, and the connection we share.

The fringe of my slightly wavy black hair falls from behind my ears, brushing along Kawaki's throat, and I hear him let out a soft, airless sigh at the ticklish sensation. He deepens the kiss, his mouth pressing more firmly against mine. My ponytail falls to one side, sprawling across my ninja uniform and almost covering the entire back of my shirt.

I never want this moment to end. The rest of the world seems to vanish, leaving only the two of us in this intimate space. I let out a breathless sigh as I slowly pull my lips away from his. I move my head to look into his eyes, but they're still closed from the kiss.

I'm starting to worry. "Kawaki, are you alright? I'm sorry if you didn't—"

"It's alright," he says softly, opening his ashen eyes, the same calmness returning. "Now, what do you need to tell me that you seem afraid of saying?"

"Oh, right... I know this is sudden, but I have to leave for a mission right now," I say slowly, watching his reaction. His eyes widen slightly at my words.

"How long will you be gone for?" he asks, his voice tinged with concern. There's a hint of sadness in his expression, and I can tell he's trying to stay composed.

"It can go up to four years," I say quietly, almost a whisper.

"Are you serious? Why didn't you tell me sooner?" he asks, and there's a hint of anger in his voice. I flinch at his tone, feeling his words hit me like a sudden storm. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to raise my voice," he quickly adds, trying to soften his outburst.

"It's alrigh—"

"It's not alright, Y/n," he interrupts, frustration evident in his voice. "I raised my voice, and that was wrong. But I'm confused about all of this."

"What's confusing, Kawaki?" I ask, my concern growing with each passing moment.

"All this... It's new to me, and I don't know what these weird feelings are inside me. The things you do to me," he says, his voice dropping to a whisper, "If you leave for that long, what will happen to me? If you get that connection when you turn 15, you'll feel every emotion I feel. Every single one. And I'm scared for you if that happens."

"Kawaki, listen to me. I promise you that I will come back to you," I say, holding his face in my hands, trying to reassure him.

"How do I know that you're not lying to me?" he asks, doubt seeping into his words.

"Do you think that low of me? The reason is because I think I love you, Idiot," I reply, trying to keep my voice steady despite the emotional turbulence inside me.

"Wha—Please tell me you're joking. Tell me this is a joke," he says, his breathing becoming erratic. "You don't mean that. How could you love someone like me? No, not someone, I'm a thing. How could you want someone like me? I'm just a tool. I'm ju—"

"Kawaki, please stop talking," I say, my voice cracking. "I need you in my life; you bring me comfort too. So don't ever say that I don't want you. From the bottom of my heart, I will stay with you," I say, my eyes beginning to blur with tears.