Chapter 2: Spread the Word

The four engines continued work as usual, although paranoia was beginning to set in after everything James had said. He'd even worried himself, and would constantly ask his driver for confirmation on whether or not their little island would stay the safe haven it's always been.

"We'll be alright, old boy," driver would always tell him. "If that slim chance where the worst happens shows itself, you're fit enough to bolt."

Gordon had just finished his express run, and was resting before refuelling for the return journey. A diesel soon emerged from behind the coaches.

"About damn time," Gordon wheeshed.

However, this diesel wasn't stopping for the express. Instead was hauling a long goods train.

"Oh, you must be joking!" He groaned in annoyance.

It was D261, the diesel they all loathed the return of. His engine spluttered as he greasily rolled through the station. Gordon's firebox felt empty as he eyed the pitiful thing. The distaste was still there, and worse than he'd remembered.

"He thinks he's better than us steam engines!" Gordon whined on the return journey. He was so cross, he didn't even whistle a friendly hello to Henry who was passing by.

The only thing that could pep him up was thinking about Stepney's return. The Bluebell engine had shown up the diesel once before, and was hoping it would happen again.

"In the meantime," Gordon thought to himself, "I'll have to set him straight myself."

The next day, the diesel purred at the big station as Billy shunted his coaches. The passengers marvelled at the sight of a new face.

"So, this is considered astonishing?" Gordon scoffed to himself. "A horse and carriage would be more admissible."

Gordon believed the bustling atmosphere of the station would drown out his voice, but he was sorely mistaken.

"At least I'm as quiet as such," the diesel said smugly. "I hadn't need to disrupt nature with abhorrently deafening sounds like you steam engines do."

Gordon gritted his teeth as he tried to quickly think of a comeback. Didn't take him long however, an idea already struck his mind.

"I suppose you aren't completely wrong. Your quiet engine is enough to soothe anyone or anything, even the rowdiest."

The egoistical diesel grinned believing he'd won. "Oh look, even you agreed with me. Even you steamies would wish to-"

"Actually, not quite." Gordon replied, interrupting before the Diesel could finish his sentence

D261 just raised his eyebrow, a little puzzled with what the blue engine answered with. Before he could reply, Gordon spoke again with a mischievous expression apparent on his face very clearly.

"So my dear friend, imagine this scenario. What if these Soviet communists decided to drop a nuke on our island, and did so..." His grin growing wider, hoping his idea would shut the diesel up, "Would you and your hushed engine be heard? Or would you be left in the dirt to rust and rot?"

The diesel shivered ever so slightly. "Of- of course they'd come looking for me! They wouldn't so easily dispose of modern transport like that!"

"Oh, I don't know about that," Gordon said in a more serious tone trying to hold back laughter, "You may be modern, but who on this island really knows you? Who wants to get to know you? If I were you, I'd switch up that attitude. It might come back to bite you."

Gordon smirked as the diesel looked ahead speechless, nervously anticipating the blowing of the guard's whistle. After what felt like hours of sitting in peril, the diesel was finally able to speed off, trying to speed up as much as possible in a short amount of time.

Gordon finally let out his burst of laughter. "I told you I'd show him!" He said to his driver, who hadn't been paying attention to Gordon in the slightest. Although, someone had been. Billy had overheard the entire thing, and it didn't take him long to overreact.

Billy spread the word to Murdoch. And Murdoch spread it to Harvey. And Harvey to another, and then that engine to two more. Tension on the Fat Controller's Railway soon soared. It was difficult to go anywhere and not get an earful of anxiety. Sadly, the stress was still present when Stepney returned to the island. A warmer welcome was expected than what was received, however that ship had long sailed the second Gordon opened his mouth to the diesel. While Stepney did get more pleasant welcomes from several engines, it wasn't quite the receptive embrace he was hoping for.

Nonetheless, Sir Topham Hatt wasn't going to let a rumour leave the railway in ruins. He continued to work the engines hard in hopes they'd leave the gossip behind. No one could know however, it wouldn't soon need to be left.