Chapter 28, birthday memories

(3th person POV)

After they stopped playing Mario Kart and Ollie went to bed, Charlie went upstairs as well. Tori and Y/n followed right away.

Tori and Y/n walk in Tori's room, and Tori sighs as she leans against her closed door. ''You alright?'' Y/n asks softly, sitting on the edge of the bed, smiling softly at Tori. ''Yeah... just family.'' She breathes out. ''Well, I think it was a nice dinner.'' Y/n says honestly.

''I'm sorry about my parents. It was none of their business.'' Tori comes to sit next to Y/n on the bed. ''Don't be, I didn't mind. And it sort of is their business. I mean, I made it their business when I wasn't honest to them the first time.'' Y/n smiles, putting a strand of hair behind Tori's ear. ''You should wear your hair out of your face more often. It really is a shame to hide something like that.'' Y/n smiles, ''Like what?'' Tori asks, slightly amused.

''You're very pretty, you should know that by now.'' Y/n whispers, looking absolutely love sick at Tori. Tori would've melted right there, if she was anyone else, but she still felt those words in every part of her.

''Wait! I still haven't given you your birthday present yet.'' Y/n says as she abruptly stands up. ''You did. The flowers, remember?'' Tori reminds her, ''That wasn't your only present, arsehole. I have another one. I'm gonna grab it out of my bag real fast, be right back!'' And before Tori could say another word, Y/n had already left the room to run downstairs.

A minute later, after Tori went to properly sit on her bed, Y/n came walking back in. She closes the door behind her and is holding a wrapped something in her hand.

She sits down next to Tori and hands her the gift, ''Happy birthday'' She smiles. Tori notices that the gift is rather heavy. She carefully starts unwrapping until she pulls out a... mug?

She places the paper next to her and grabs the mug with both hands as she looks at it. It's just a mug. ''It's a nice mug.'' She muses. ''Turn it around.'' Y/n smiles, and so she does.

''Holy shit'' Tori laughs. At the front of the mug is a not so pleasant photo of Tori printed, and around her head are different faces of friends and family of Tori. Also not the most gorgeous poses. There's of course Charlie and Ollie. And then there is also Becky and Michel (her best friends), and Y/n herself (which was an actual nice picture, of course). ''This is amazing. How did you even get these photos?'' Tori asks, smiling brightly. ''Well, the one of Charlie I made myself with Tao a while back, I asked Charlie for one of Ollie, and I asked Michel for one of Becky and the other way around. And of course that lovely photo of myself, was made by Sarah a while back.'' Y/n explains, very excited about the present herself.

''I love it, thank you.'' Tori says. She holds the mug in one hand as she uses her other arm to hug Y/n. As she pulls back she gives Y/n a peck on the lips before looking once more at the cup. ''I can't believe you're 17, wow.'' Y/n states.

Tori thinks about it for a moment, and looks back at Y/n pretty disgusted. ''Oh my god. I'm 17... You're 15. I feel like a fucking pedophile.'' Y/n just burst out in laughter, ''It's not that bad.'' she explains through her chuckles. ''I'm 16 in like two months.''

''One month, actually. And a few days.'' Tori chimes in, ''See? That's even less of an age difference between us. It's just over a year. That's not that bad.'' Y/n tells her amused. ''You suck at remembering your birthday, you know?'' Tori asks, ''How come?''

Y/n turns red at the question, ''There never really was... space for it, I suppose.'' She says shamefully, looking down at the ground. ''How come?'' Tori asks, furrowing her eyebrows.

''We don't have to talk about that.'' She forces a breathy laugh, ''I think we do, actually. Tell me.'' Tori says honestly.

''Alright... Well, my dad died on the 3rd of May. That's a week before my birthday.'' She states, simply. Very very obviously not saying something. ''That's... shit.'' Tori breathes out. ''Yeah it is.'' Y/n agrees. ''So... then why wasn't there ever any room to celebrate it?'' Tori asks, in a soft tone.