Over Coffee

⚠️Mentions of cannibalism (Y/n)⚠️

[The next day]

I start to walk down the street in the early hours of the morning.

To be honest, I hate mornings. They make me feel like shit.

As the first hints of dawn painted the sky with delicate hues of pink and orange.

I walked on the cobblestone pathways and heard my footsteps echoing.

The gas lamps were out, but the sunlight slowly lit up the place. The ornate buildings were quite beautiful, and the shadows looked like they were dancing.

The air was cool and smelled of coffee. I wrapped my shawl around me tighter and enjoyed the chill.

The Mississippi River was nearby, and I could hear its gentle lapping. The sunrise made the water look like a pretty tapestry.

I would feel peaceful, but I couldn't feel anything, as I wandered through the streets of New Orleans.

I look around me once again and see a small quaint coffee shop.

Perfect.

I enter the shop and take a look around.

The walls are a lighter shade of yellow, the tile on the floor is perfectly aligned, and it has a nice cottage look to it.

It smells like freshly baked goods, bread, pastries, and coffee. There's also a hint of vanilla.

I can hear the radio in the background. Probably in the kitchen.

"Hi, how can I help you?" A small woman asks at the front counter. I take a look at her, long black hair which is in a low bun, work dress on, and her hair has two strands framing her face.

"Can I get a hot chocolate, please?" I ask politely. "Medium is fine."

"Of course ma'am, that'll be 20 cents."

I quickly pay and sit at a booth in the corner, facing the exits.

I am not paranoid, I can assure you, I'm just cautious.

1 minute and 24 seconds. That's how long I had to wait.

I got bored, but nevertheless, I have hot chocolate now.

I start mindlessly listening to the radio. Whatever song had been playing was quite catchy.

"And we are back dear listeners!" An enthusiastic voice says.

Wait, I know that voice.

That is that weirdo in the red who kept calling me dear.

His name started with Al, I'm sure.

Alarcio. No.

Alameda. Absolutely not.

Alasdair. I don't think so...

I listen to his voice, trying to pin his name again.

Fuck, I'm sucky with names.

"Ma'am?" The same woman from before walks up to me.

"Yes?" I say simply.

"Would you like a refill? You've been sitting there for quite some time with an empty cup..."

"That would be marvelous, thank you," I say with a smile.

She nods and goes back to the kitchen.

I continue to listen to the radio as I ponder the possible names for the broadcaster.