chapter 5 : confessions and conflicts

the trio strolled leisurely toward the cafeteria, their steps light and their conversation easy. they had unanimously decided to stick together, avoiding the impending drama involving boyoung and yujin, who was likely under her spell by now.

"do you reckon yujin likes boyoung?" beomseok's question broke the casual chatter, prompting contemplative glances between the girls.

"she's too obvious, so surely not," aejung scoffed, a playful smirk dancing on her lips. boreum's chuckle mirrored aejung's amusement.

"you seemed really jealous by the way, are you scared someone is gonna steal your best friend?" beomseok's teasing tone sliced through the air, causing a sudden shift in the atmosphere. aejung and boreum exchanged uneasy glances, the tension thickening palpably in the air, a silent acknowledgment of the underlying fears and insecurities stirring within them.

"what..." he said suspiciously.

"nothing," boreum immediately interjected awkwardly, shooting aejung a quick glance.

"i might as well tell him, to be honest," aejung sighed, her resolve firm.

"tell me what?" beomseok's voice dripped with confusion.

"i've liked him for years..." aejung's admission hung heavy in the air, her vulnerability laid bare.

"oh, that was obvious," beomseok shrugged nonchalantly, catching aejung off guard. she exchanged a bewildered glance with boreum.

"if it's obvious for him... how is it not obvious for yujin?" aejung's confusion seeped into her words, her disappointment palpable.

"it's not obvious if you're the one being liked," beomseok's matter-of-fact response punctuated the moment, leaving aejung and boreum pondering the complexities of unrequited affection.

suddenly a familiar figure approached behind aejung but she didn't seem to notice. "oh aejung, your friend," boreum tapped aejung on the shoulder, prompting her to turn around.

"i look like such a loser right now, but can i sit with you guys?" gunwook chuckled awkwardly, his presence adding a new dynamic to the group.

"yeah, of course," aejung nodded warmly, making space for gunwook next to beomseok.

"my name is gunwook," he introduced himself to the twins, extending a friendly hand as they reciprocated the gesture, their smiles genuine despite the awkwardness.

"i currently don't know where my friends are, so i hope i'm not disturbing anything," gunwook apologized, his tone apologetic yet hopeful.

"it's fine, i was in need of another boy here anyways," beomseok chuckled as he fist-bumped gunwook, the gesture easing the tension.

"are you in our year?" boreum inquired, curious about their new companion's grade level.

gunwook shook his head in response. "i'm just a year above," he said kindly, his demeanor welcoming.

"you're aejung's mentor from kindergarten, right?" beomseok suddenly realized, recalling their interactions from when they were younger.

gunwook nodded in confirmation, a faint smile tugging at his lips. "what happened to that other guy, by the way?" he asked curiously, his gaze shifting between the trio.

"he's dealing with someone else right now," aejung chuckled, her tone light despite the underlying tension.

suddenly, the two from the basketball court came running over, yujin searching for them with boyoung following closely behind, their arrival interrupting the conversation.

"why did you guys leave?" yujin asked the group, his tone curious as he glanced around.

"it got too hot," boreum quickly replied, a convenient excuse that both beomseok and aejung understood was a lie. yujin simply nodded in response, accepting the explanation without further inquiry.

"yeah, it's pretty obvious since you're dripping with sweat," boyoung chimed in, her tone playful as she wiped the sweat off yujin's forehead using her arm, a bright smile adorning her face.

"thanks, boyoung," yujin expressed his gratitude with a warm smile directed at her, his appreciation evident.

aejung felt a pang of jealousy as she observed the interaction, her lips twitching slightly downward, but she quickly masked her emotions, maintaining a neutral expression.

"also, aejung," yujin continued, turning his attention to her, and she looked up at him attentively, awaiting his request.

"can you help me with the history homework for tomorrow?" yujin asked sweetly, his hand poised to open his bag, but boyoung intervened before he could proceed.

"we need to train more for our games on friday," boyoung spoke softly to yujin, her eyes conveying a sense of sincerity. yujin noticed this and couldn't resist as he gave her a small smile in return.

"right," he acquiesced, slinging his bag onto his back once again.

"can we meet in the library after school?" yujin directed his question to aejung, who nodded in agreement.

"great, see you then," yujin flashed a charming smile at aejung before walking off with boyoung.

after the two finally disappeared from view, beomseok leaned in, his tone carrying a mix of amusement and disbelief.

"yeah, no way. she's way too obvious," he remarked, his voice tinged with a hint of mockery. aejung and boreum burst into laughter, their giggles echoing softly in the cafeteria.

meanwhile, gunwook sat beside them, his expression a blend of confusion and curiosity. he observed their interaction with an uncertain gaze, clearly unsure about the dynamics at play.

recess breezed by with aejung, gunwook, beomseok, and boreum chatting about the drama surrounding aejung, yujin, and boyoung. the two classes, lunch, and another class also passed quickly, and now, after school, aejung sat in the library at a two-person desk, awaiting yujin's arrival.

it didn't take that long before yujin came in with a bright smile on his face. "hi!" aejung greeted him happily.

"hi!" he smiled back as he sat down next to her.

"how are you?" aejung asked politely to bring up some small talk.

"i'm good, how about you?" yujin said as he grabbed his stuff out before looking up at aejung with attentive eyes.

"same," she replied happily as she began to look over at what he needed help with on the homework.

she began to help him with the homework, explaining everything with crucial detail in order to help him remember in case of a future test. it was really effective as yujin paid lots of attention to aejung compared to how he normally does during class.

after a while of aejung tutoring yujin, a female figure came into the room.

"yujin we have training," boyoung said quietly as she approached the two.

"oh yeah of course," he said as he began packing up.

"you're all good with everything i've taught you?" aejung asked as yujin nodded in response with a smile.

"thank you so much," yujin smiled before he once again got dragged away by boyoung, leaving aejung sitting at a desk alone, when it was made for two.